Experiece with Watchguard X550e?

We are looking to buy a Watchguard X550e Firewall/VPN Endpoint. Has anyone had experience with this device. We are most interested in Mobile VPN, and Firewall functions. Possibly a Branch Office VPN also. Not many remote users (mainly off-hour access) (5-10 users max, not simultaneous). I have used a FB700, and found it stable and easy to use. Hoping this one is as well.

Thanks TCD

Reply to
The Computer Dood
Loading thread data ...

I've got about 80 WG firewalls, a couple old Firebox II, about 30 Firebox III/1000 units, and the rest are X700, X550e, X1250e units.

The 550e is the lowest end unit that I would spec for a business. It's very easy to setup with other appliances for Branch-Office VPN. I did a Netgear FSV318 to a X550e just the other day (took about 5 minutes for me).

I don't believe the x550e can be upgraded to the 750e series, but the

750e series can be software upgraded to a 1250e.

I don't use the B/O VPN software, we implement PPTP and create firewall user accounts on the firewall and then specific rules for firewall users to allow those VPN connections access to ONLY the service we want them to reach - we do not allow the firewall user name to match the network (Windows) domain user names.

For the x550e, you get 5 Remote user VPN licenses, you will need to purchase more if you want 10.

I personally own a Firebox III/1000 and a Firebox X1250e for my home networks.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.