Watchguard SOHO6 license and timeouts

Hi All, I have a couple of good 'uns for you and if anyone can help I'd be very pleased.

1. Firstly, I have a Firewall Watchguard SOHO 6 and it works fine but I have one issue that if a machine /person connects to the internet as they log on/powerup a licence is used for the Firewall. (we have 25 licences) If the person logs off or shuts down the PC the licence stays active on the firewall and only after a firewall reboot does it clear down to the accurate amount that is left on the network. This is proving to be a hassle as we have a lot of laptop users that come and go into the office and this takes up valuable licences and when they log off or leave the licence stays and eventually will fill up all the licences and noone can use the web from the office . Is there a time-out or modification to rectify this so that the firewall resets when a user disconnects?

1. Has anyone ever been able to use the windows VPN connection through one of these Watchguard firewalls to make a connection. (thus not installing the VPN client software) Windows XP network setting>create a new connection>office or woprkplace> vpn connection? The firewall is static IP address? Am I missing something? Or do you have to use the VPN client to connect?

2. Finally, does anyone know how to connecta permanent VPN between a watchguard SOHO 6 and another brand of Firewall. UK to Hong Kong. Not certain of the other brand but I think it might be US robotics or Cisco. Will edit this post later when I know what it is.. (but in experience has anyone done similar?

Cheers, Feel free to post here or email me any documents to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Craig

Reply to
mrbungle50
Loading thread data ...

Hi All, I have a couple of good 'uns for you and if anyone can help I'd be very pleased.

1. Firstly, I have a Firewall Watchguard SOHO 6 and it works fine but I have one issue that if a machine /person connects to the internet as they log on/powerup a licence is used for the Firewall. (we have 25 licences) If the person logs off or shuts down the PC the licence stays active on the firewall and only after a firewall reboot does it clear down to the accurate amount that is left on the network. This is proving to be a hassle as we have a lot of laptop users that come and go into the office and this takes up valuable licences and when they log off or leave the licence stays and eventually will fill up all the licences and noone can use the web from the office . Is there a time-out or modification to rectify this so that the firewall resets when a user disconnects?

1. Has anyone ever been able to use the windows VPN connection through one of these Watchguard firewalls to make a connection. (thus not installing the VPN client software) Windows XP network setting>create a new connection>office or woprkplace> vpn connection? The firewall is static IP address? Am I missing something? Or do you have to use the VPN client to connect?

2. Finally, does anyone know how to connecta permanent VPN between a watchguard SOHO 6 and another brand of Firewall. UK to Hong Kong. Not certain of the other brand but I think it might be US robotics or Cisco. Will edit this post later when I know what it is.. (but in experience has anyone done similar?

Cheers, Feel free to post here or email me any documents to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Craig

Reply to
mrbungle50

Licenses are based on the MAC of the device connecting to the network, it's always required a reboot of the SOHO to clean any "used" licenses from the stack.

The SOHO is not a PPTP Server / Endpoint, you need to use the client software or purchase a different unit.

The SOHO is not the right unit for your setup, you want the SOHO 6tc at the least, the SOHO 6tc is designed to have multiple branch office VPN connections.

As for connecting to another location with a WatchGuard, yes, they are quite easy to connect to other vendors firewalls to form dedicated tunnels.

I would suggest that you replace your SOHO with something more inline with your business needs - like the X500 or X700.

Reply to
Leythos

Thanks so much for that great information! I do actually have a SOHO 6TC so will consult the user manual and get thats set up sorted for a permanent connection to Hong Kong.

Thanks for the info on PPTP client etc, will keep on rolling with the current setup

The reboot etc is sad but if that's the way it's designed then so be it. I'm very happy with the Watchguard and will keep using it.

Cheers and thanks and hopefully I can return a favour for you one day.

Reply to
mrbungle50

I have a bunch of WG units in the field, the key to keeping a good tunnel and being able to route between the network is as simple as this:

1) Each side has a different network, meaning that no two branch offices can have the same network subnet (each must be different, office 1 could be 192.168.10.0/24 and office 2 could be 192.168.11.0/24, but they both can't be 192.168.10.0/24 or you will have issues routing between them through the tunnel). 2) Each side should be on a fixed IP (public IP) and it should not be PPOE (from my own experience).
Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.