Content filtering with personal firewall

Is there a personal firewall which includes content filtering capabilities, that is being able to set specific words the firewall can act on? Thanks. Giovanni

Reply to
GRL
Loading thread data ...

I assume you are wanting to block adult content(?)

F-secure Internet Security 2005 has a "Parental Control" facility which has a block adult content selection. I do not know how it determines what is an adult site. I turned the adult filter on it did a good job. You can download the full program and give it a 30 day trial. You can also specifically block whole sites or part sites but as there are

18,275,935,659 sites offering "adult" content that would take some doing.
Reply to
TheHeid

"GRL" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

capabilities,

Only if you want to pay exorbitant amounts. The best value would be to get an ICS box, and then pay $799 per year to use CyBlock. Cyblock acts as a filtering proxy. Just set up an ICS box, put Tiny Personal Firewall on it, and CyBlock, then restrict all Web access through your CyBlock proxy. That is the only real way you can do it. CyBlock runs on Windows 2000, XP, 2003, and Longhorn. Basically, you need to set up a LAN, and filter it with CyBlock. A word of warning though, CyBlock might not work with a cable modem, if you are using Comcast. I downloaded the trial edition, and had to stop using it. I figured out that it was screwing up my cable modem. I was losing sync, and having all kinds of problems. It took a while to figure out what the problem was, but when I got rid of CyBlock, and reinstalled Windows the problems ceased. If you are using a internet service other than Comcast high-speed Internet, you might want to give CyBlock's $799 per year service a try. Before you download CyBlock you will need:

Another PC to act as an ICS Box second NIC card A hub and necessary cables Tiny Personal Firewall (to restrict Web access to your proxy)

Cyblock is very good at blocking inappropriate content, and can block content in 67 categories, plus 12 more that you can define yourself, for a total of 79 categories. With the growing popularity of home and small business networks (which is what CyBlock is designed for), they will corner the market on network filtering. A hardware appliance cannot filter as well as Cyblock installed on an ICS box alongside Tiny Personal Firewall. There NO hardware appliance on the market that can do what CyBlock does, as far as Web filtering goes. CyBlock has all kinds of reporting options that you would NEVER get from a hardware device. As for our Australian poster, and his news reporter girlfriends who chat with him from work, if I were running any of those computer networks, I would have an ICS box, equipped with CyBlock and Tiny Personal Firewall, controlling the network, and what that reporter's online activities would stick out like a sore thumb in the reports. CyBlock has reporting features that hardware firewalls cannot even come NEAR. With CyBlock, you can find out which users and/or stations on the network are using more bandwidth. With CyBlock, I would know something was up, when I saw that reporter using more Web bandwidth than other people. If the admnins at those TV stations were using an ICS box with CyBlock and Tiny Personal Firewall, those reporters would have been caught, and probably fired, long before now. CyBlock can drill down to an individual user's activities. Try THAT with your hardware appliances. The reporting capabilites of CyBlock are just incredible. If you are using a service other than Comcast, I highly recommend an network using an ICS Box, with CyBlock and Tiny Personall Firewall, to filter on your network. $799 per year allows up to 10 machines at one time to hook to your proxy, which will more than cover virtually any home network out there, I dont think there are any home networks yet, that has more than 10 machines on it. One guy mentioned he pays $975 a year for filtering through a hardware firewall. He is paying too much for his service, and is probably not getting filtering as good as what an ICS box, equipeed with CyBlock and Tiny Personal Firewall can do.

Reply to
Charles Newman

I have NIS 2005 installed on our families XP box and it is doing it's job very well at this.

Reply to
Robert

Not in a firewall, but you could consider a separate program that proxies the content through itself. We use Proxomitron (no longer being supported) which allows one to write their own rules as to what and how to filter, pass or block.

capabilities,

Reply to
SGD

websense.com

Reply to
jimmyjohnjoejnr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.