Personal firewalls compatibility

It is generally considered best to just run one at a time. I have however used CHX-I in combination with almost every firewall out there without any problems. But as has been mentioned, this shouldn't be necessary and should generally be avoided.

Reply to
Kerodo
Loading thread data ...

What do you mean, compatible? Installing more than one isn't necessary

- either one of them will protect you and is thus worth installing, or it isn't.

Generally, though, the best idea is to install as few applications as possible, thus reducing the number of possible bugs. If your machine doesn't offer any services to the Internet you don't need a firewall :-)

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

I know this is a recurring question, but I'm not able to find any previous answer: are there personal firewalls compatible among them (for instance: Sygate and Kerio)? Thanks.

Reply to
GRL

If you're interested in catching the fragmented packets that Kerio 2 might let in, you may like CHX-I. It's ultra light, no app control, just an excellent packet filter. Kerio with CHX is a great combo.

Here's a link:

formatting link
If you try it, be sure to read thru the online docs. Essential reading.

Reply to
Kerodo

What's a *pure* PFW I would like to see that definition?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks to all. These opinions confirm similar advices. Actually, I wanted to use a "pure" personal firewall and a content filtering program, that is a program to "hook" specific words or expressions (if I find this kind of program, up to now I didn't, but this is another matter).

Reply to
GRL

"GRL" wrote in news:42bd5b7e$1 snipped-for-privacy@x-privat.org:

I am running Kerio 2.1.5 alongside Sygate 5.6 free version. They get along beautifully.

Sygate appears to fix the Kerio fragmented packets issue, and Kerio with a "block all" rule catches Sygate's many vulnerabilities.

Along with System Safety Monitor, I pass all but one of the leaktests at firewallleaktester.com.

Reply to
elaich

I have been running Sygate Pro 5.5 for some time now and have been quite pleased with it. On several occasions I have simultaneously run Kerio 2.1.5 for testing. They seem to get along together without any problems. I'm curious--what are the Sygate many vulnerabilities? Thanks, Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Of course I'm not an expert as many people are... Saying "pure", I meant a personal firewall without other functions (such as IDS). Thanks.

Reply to
GRL

That's weird.. no problems with that site here.. You might try it again sometime, or with another browser. Or just Google for "CHX-I" and hopefully you'll get it.

Reply to
Kerodo

Kerodo wrote in news:MPG.1d281858dc1d30eb989680 @news.west.cox.net:

Thanks for the heads up, Kerodo. You might be interested to know that the site you linked to triggered my Kerio "Block All" rule. Something about nstat.aol.com.

Reply to
elaich

Casey Klc wrote in news:MPG.1d28a471277c8f72989694 @news.east.earthlink.net:

Sygate alone passes only 9 of the 25 tests at firewallleaktester.com. Is that relevant? Probably not. You'd have to be a clueless idiot to allow most of those vulnerabilities on your box to begin with. (Note: most Internet users ARE clueless idiots.) If you're in this NG, you probably don't qualify. ;)

Adding Kerio 2.1.5 (NOT version 4!) with a "Block All" rule at the bottom improves this ratio immensely. Adding System Safety Monitor makes your score almost perfect. Once again, is it relevant? Probably not.

Reply to
elaich

The only flaw or omission in Sygate that I know about is its inability to control 127.0.0.1 (local host). This is a known problem (issue) that is to be corrected in the next major version. Firewalls, in general, are only as good as their set-up. If one feels a need for a "Block All" rule in Sygate, it can certainly be placed in Advanced Rules (along with a few other companion rules). If the Kerio 2.1.5 rules are so outstanding, they as a group, could be entered in Sygate as Advanced Rules. However, I don't think this is necessary in Sygate because everything is blocked unless Allowed in the set. Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Hallo GRL, Du teiltest mit:

A pure paketfilter is the built in firewall of windows xp. It is good enough for the things you want.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.