Recurrent question

Is it possible to have at the same time two personal firewalls? I think that it depends on the specific firewalls: for example, is it possible to use Norton firewall and Kerio? Thanks. Giovanni

Reply to
GRL
Loading thread data ...

It is possible. And completely useless.

Just use the Windows-Firewall, and that's it.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Of course it is. Make sure you wear a tinfoil hat, too.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Windows Firewall only blocks incoming, it does not block outgoing.

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

Am Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:14:23 +0000 schrieb Sla#s:

Personal firewalls can't do that.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Sygate does an excellent job blocking outgoing connection attempts. Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Every one that I ever used did, and I used just about all of them (of course I have not used the windows "firewall", which being a ms product is a POS).

Reply to
Quaestor

Personal firewalls can and do block outgoing traffic.

Reply to
Leythos

Only if the application generating the traffic isn't smart enough to reconfigure, disable, or bypass the personal firewall.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

IF the personal firewall is running on a separate machine it gets a lot harder to do that.

Reply to
Quaestor

Personal firewalls run on the client system by definition.

Triffid

Reply to
Triffid

;->

E.

Reply to
E.

So the same software running on a separate machine is not personal? Will wonders never cease?

Reply to
Quaestor

Yes, and it's completely useless to try to block "outgoing", as you can read here in my postings, together with the reasons for this and some proofs.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

It does not.

Try:

formatting link
formatting link
(precompiled binary)

It cannot prevent a random process from sending arbitrary data at all.

BTW: Sygate "Personal Firewall" installs system services which open Windows. And this is a big security breach. So Sygate makes your PC more insecure compared to the Windows-Firewall. And Sygate show, that they never read Microsoft's design guidelines for system services.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

The concept of a "Personal Firewall" system implies, that it contains a filtering software, which is host based and is running on the same machine as the software programs it should protect.

Any other thing I would not call a "Personal Firewall".

And if you're looking to products which are called "Personal Firewall", then you can see that this definition is very common and widespread. All of those products are intended to be driven like that.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

So, then making a blanket statement of "Personal firewalls can't do that" is actually incorrect in your opinion. What you should have said was that Some personal firewalls, when improperly configured with the OS, do not offer much, if any, outbound protection. Some personal firewalls, of which the XP Firewall is not considered a firewall, do provide outbound protection when properly configured and maintained.

Reply to
Leythos

It claimed that it did, sometimes it probably even did but for sure none of the placebos you used was able to do that had the malware been sufficienly evil enough.

Now it becomes really funny: If you had ever thought more than a second about the fact that all the firewall placebos you tried or used run in a windows operating system environment and therefore *must* rely on everything that MS coded you'd been able to see yourself that your statement makes no sense at all.

If you (for whatever reason) don't trust MS using a third party software so called security software will not help at all because the third party software *does* trust MS and therefore you trust MS as well.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Obviously you didn't.

*plonk*
Reply to
Quaestor

It is really laughable that you believe that any third party software exists in the vacuum and not within an operating system.

Get a patent on that.

Hint: Killfiling me doesn't make your idea correct just like closing your eyes does not make you invisible. If you believe that you are invisible when you close your eyes, well, live happily with it but don't blame it on me if you get hit by a bus while crossing the street with you eyes closed.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.