comp.security.firewalls

I recently purchased a NETGEAR FVS328 firewall. I am trying to configure it to block ANY traffic from a range of internal addresses ("LAN Users" in NETGEAR's jargon).

While the FVS328 lets me specify a range of addresses, it doesn't have an option to block ALL traffic from that range. It only allows me to specify one service per rule to be blocked. While I could enter as many rules as there are services in the listbox FVS328 provides, this is tedious (and most probably doesn't block ALL traffic?).

The list of services currently "blockable" by FVS328 is:

AIM(TCP:5190) BGP(TCP:179) BOOTP_CLIENT(UDP:68) BOOTP_SERVER(UDP:67..68) CU-SEEME(TCP/UDP:7648) DNS(TCP/UDP:53) FINGER(TCP:79) FTP(TCP:21) H.323(TCP:1720) HTTP(TCP:80) HTTPS(TCP:443) ICQ(TCP:5190) IRC(TCP/UDP:6660..6669) NEWS(TCP:119) NFS(UDP:2049) NNTP(TCP:119) POP3(TCP:110) PPTP(TCP:1723) RCMD(TCP:512) REAL-AUDIO(TCP:7070) REXEC(TCP:514) RLOGIN(TCP:513) RTELNET(TCP:107) RTSP(TCP/UDP:554) SFTP(TCP:115) SMTP(TCP:25) SNMP(TCP/UDP:161) SNMP-TRAPS(TCP/UDP:162) SQL-NET(TCP:1521) SSH(TCP/UDP:22) STRMWORKS(UDP:1558) TACACS(UDP:49) TELNET(TCP:23) TFTP(UDP:69) VDOLIVE(TCP:7000) IMAP2(TCP:143) IMAP3(TCP:220) PING(ICMP:8) ICMP-INFO(ICMP:3..11) ICMP-TIMESTAMP(ICMP:13)

Any suggestion how to work around this problem?

I don't mind so much about the tedius part, but I *would* like to block ALL possible outgoing ports for a certain range of IP addresses (assigned for internal LAN access only). Is this possible with the FVS328?

I could do it quite easily with my Linux box running ipchains or iptables, but that Linux box no longer serves as the Internet gateway for my LAN.

Thanks, Daniel

Reply to
danibe
Loading thread data ...

Oops... this is a classic case of RTFM. To be more precise - RTEFM ('E' stands for "Entire"). ;-)

The manual says: "Service. From this list, select the application or service to be allowed or blocked. The list already displays many common services, *but you are not limited to these choices. Use the Services menu to add any additional services or applications that do not already appear.*"

Thus, I can now figure out a "trick" to accomplish what I want: By default BLOCK access from ALL ip addresses (even those that I want to access the Internet). Then, add rules that provide access to the allowed PCs for the specific services which I *know* I am going to use. I think this is even more secure by definition. Duh! :-)

Thanks to everyone who responded. :-D

Daniel

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Reply to
danibe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.