Computer grinding toahalt

The DCMA doesn't define DRM. Neither does it cover DRM.

You might want to ask a competent laywer...

DCMA-type laws cover copy protection schemes, not DRM.

Reply to
Sebastian G.
Loading thread data ...

Thanks or the advice all. I had hoped for less dramatic action. Does this mean that any banking etc could be compromised?

Reply to
Wits End

Don't those institutions ask you additional questions to verify your credentials that only you would know to conduct a transaction, even after you're able to logon to the site?

Now, a key logger could be running on the machine that can gather information while you typed it --- no doubt.

But on the other hand, if a user is taken in the manner you're concerned about, then the user was absolutely involved in his or her demise, like they were directed to a site and gave the information up, because he or she got an email requesting such information so that he or she could be taken, or other such trickery. That's usually how it's going to happen.

But you can do some things to better protect yourself to reduce your attack vector as much as possible.

formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Yes.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

You were the one who said, that laws are only locally binding?

Most anglo-saxons license agreements fail miserably in German environments (or environments with a similarily structured legal system).

As long as it does not violate a law. And no, civilised countries usually do not have case law, where not the lawyer with better reasoning, but with the better library wins.

Over here usually not, since you only learn the details, after you bought it. ("shrink wrap" license agreements in general are more than tricky!)

Might be correct for the USofA.

There is, in fact, a comparable law.

Nice example, check your facts.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

Thanks. I am careful not to get hit by those things - to the point where I have argued with my bank when they legitimately ask for such questions. However, I am holding off using any online payment until I am certain.

Reply to
Wits End

Yeah, do be careful out there.

formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

DRM is a form of copy protection and is, therefore, covered under the DMCA, and is therefore legal.

Reply to
Chilly8

Says who? If it's implemented on a general purpose computer, this is obviously wrong.

Being covered by some legal protection doesn't mean anything for illegal things.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.