Computer Networking!pls Help me

how can i connect 3 seperate buildings..what are the specific wires and connectors should i use?pls answer my question..it will be a big help for our project..tnx

bern

Reply to
jombs_0820
Loading thread data ...

There are 3 things that determine the answer to this question

1. Distance between the buildings
  2. Budget
  3. Skill level

You only answered one of the 3. Use your skill to find a contractor in the phone book and get estimates.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

Being that you give no information about what you are trying to do. Call a local IT/telecommunication contracting company. And being that you do not even seem to understand what is needed, it would probably be best if you let qualified people do this.

>
Reply to
Dana

I was trying to think of a way to say the same thing. You said it much better than I could have. ;)

David Ross

Reply to
DLR

thank you very much for the idea...

Reply to
jombs_0820

thank you very much for the suggestion..but i am only just a student,as part of our subject,we are required to design a plan that will connet 3 seperate buildings (Administration bldg,engineering bldg,home tech bldg)which at least 100 meters away from each other..the problem is,i dont know what specific cable wires and the connectors or devices which will i use for my design..is it ok if i will put a server on the administration bldg??....thank you..

Reply to
jombs_0820

i am a student and as part of our subject,we are required to design a plan that will connet 3 seperate buildings (Administration bldg,engineering bldg,home tech bldg)which at least 100 meters away from each other..the problem is,i dont know what specific cable wires and the connectors or devices which will i use for my design..is it ok if i will put a server on the administration bldg??....thank you..

Reply to
jombs_0820

If you are a student in this subject area, and you do not even know the basics yet, you are not ready too do this.

>
Reply to
Dana

If you do not even know the basics, you are not ready to do a project like this. You need to hit the books and study somemore

>
Reply to
Dana

No, it is -not- okay to put the server in the administration building. You need to power the server, telecommunications equipment, and air-conditioning, and that is most efficiently done with higher voltage (220V instead of 110V), and (especially the air condiitoning) may require higher amperage than normal office equipment. The Home Tech building may already have a supply of high voltage high amperage electricity for cooking and drying, and the engineering building almost certainly has a hefty electrical supply, but the administration building probably had no use for such things when it was designed and adding an electral feed and ducting for the air conditioning could substantially raise the price of the installation.

Consider too the operations and maintenance of the server and telecommunications equipment. Do you think the administration people are going to be happy about having technical people hang around their building in the middle of the night? The administration building physical security probably isn't designed for allowing computer people to order in pizza at 2 a.m. .

When you are designing a project you have to consider existing infrastructure, and you have to consider human factors.

"a least 100 meters away from each other" is a code phrase for "you cannot use twisted pair ethernet for the connections". Twisted pair ethernet is specified to a maximum of 100 meters. You will have to find a different connection method, such as thickwire or Cisco LRE.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.