Comodo Firewall

Of course the information reports are legetimate.Please provide proof that they are not. me

Reply to
bassbag
Loading thread data ...

I don't assume anything. I deal with the average user everyday.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

Those same people will tell you stopping services isn't going to make you more secure either.

Reply to
Garrot

I can never be sure I am virus free just because an AV program reports I am either. May as well drop all security on my PC and let it flap in the wind.

Reply to
Garrot

What does "drop all security" mean in your content? A normal PC carefully "flapping in the wind" shouldn't be initially compromisable in first place.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

But they are compromised every day.

Drop all security would mean. Turn off the XP software firewall, uninstall AV software, anti-spyware/adware software, HOSTS file IP address filtering, never scan for rootkits, don't bother with a port monitor, stop running under a limited user account too. I would still keep the router though.

Reply to
Garrot

Yes, and usually that's the user's fault.

Ok, so far I don't see any problem and also nothing to do on any of my secure boxes.

Huh? Why? Even without the security aspect, least privileges are a matter of reasonability.

Oh, one more thing to ignore. I like my direct PPP dial-in whenever being at home.

What's your problem with understanding that keeping up with patches and otherwise acting carefully (e.g. knowing what you do) does not pose any security problem, and that your additional shit hardly provides any new, real or user-understandable measures?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Because I've been bitten by adware before and know you have to take precautions against malware besides what you say. Unless, of course, you are willing to run a web browser with all scripting turned off.

Reply to
Garrot

This is not true. Because this is a common argument, please feel free to read

If you're missing this in your News archive now, you can find it here i.e.:

formatting link
BTW: you should not depend on your Virus Scanner for security against malware. You should have a better concept. The Virus Scanner can help to filter out incoming already known viruses (like a Spam Filter for viruses), it will not prevent you from getting arbitrary viruses.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Maybe you should be careful, which browser you're using and what you're downloading.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Wolfgang Kueter wrote in news:egii3n$vkt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.shlink.de:

Yes Wolfgang, that is correct indeed!

Read this:

formatting link
Yo!

Reply to
Yohann

A 6 year old article is a very good example of the current state of=20 application firewalls.Perhaps you should mention to readers not to use=20 innoculate it AV anymore either. me

Reply to
bassbag

Oh, you want to state an example of a 0day vulnerability in Mozilla?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Yes...IE and firefox are out......

formatting link
I guess you use kidsplorer Volker?
formatting link
me

Reply to
bassbag

Yes, I agree. I've learnt my lesson now. That was in the early days of XP and using IE. I now use Firefox with the noscript extension so only the websites I define can run java script. I like Opera better but the noscript extension is why I use Firefox.

Reply to
Garrot

I don't. I don't even have my AV software running in the background. I just use it to scan files I download and maybe once a month I will do a full system scan.

Reply to
Garrot

They will? o_O

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.