Comodo firewall conflict with ADSL modem?

I've been tearing my hair out for days, with much assistance from my ISP. My internet connection seems to work for a while then just freeze. Sometimes rebooting the Dynalink RTA100 ADSL modem helps but not very often. I decided that the modem must have a component that fails as it warms up...logical? Then I decided to go back to Sygate firewall and I uninstalled Comodo Firewall and BOclean. Suddenly, everything appears to be working normally again. Does anybody have any thoughts on the matter? I can't find any options in Comodo that could be to blame so I am at a loss to explain it.

Reply to
Julian Cann
Loading thread data ...

Why? Seems to be obvious. You ruined your system in multiple ways, that's why it broke.

You take an axe and slay your TV. Then it's broken. Now which button on your remote control is to blame?

Reply to
Sebastian G.

I have had BellSouth DSL for four years, every day of which I've also had BOClean installed and functional. Nary a problem.

Reply to
Kirk Bubul

Glad to see that you took my advice and asked your question in this newsgroup. Like I said previously, you'll get support here for not using a so-called 'software firewall'. Stick around a while. Sebastian G. means well, he'd just got a funny way of saying that "all software firewalls are broken by design" - meaning "How can software running on your machine protect the same machine?".

I was a great believer in software firewalls myself before I came here. A *hardware* firewall is a totally different concept.

Reply to
Alan Illeman

it seems we have the same problem

see my "BIGPROBLEM..." post sent few days ago

Reply to
a

Thanks Alan, I still can't understand why newsgroups are so full of sarcastic smart arses? We are here, by definition, to share our knowledge and experiences, and I appreciate you doing this. I guess the smart-arses gain a little knowledge, then use it as a stick to beat people with, thus helping them to cover up their inadequacies and sense of inferiority. It seems to be a plague in our society, which is very sad. regards

Reply to
Julian Cann

yes well this is a fairly obvious one, a standard computer problem, not a question about firewalls.

comodo had some conflict, with your system. Could be considered a bug in comodo. Don't sit there like an idiot asking why it has a bug. If you wrote it, if you had access to the source code and a debugger, you could locate the error and fix it. But you do not. If a program crashes your system, you uninstall it. (or you could try a windows install - that deletes the old windows xp, so your system is 'fresher', and maybe whatever was conflicting will go away. But it's not worth it. Just uninstall comodo)

The router problem is separate, you're right they can crash if they overheat.

Take if off the carpet. If it has holes, don't have the holes facing the carpet. I've seen one reliable speedtouch router that had to be run upside down (that's downside up) because the holes were on the bottom. Looking on google images, your router is meant to be run on its side. Sometimes you run them right and they still overheat. Get a more reliable router. Your overheating one will break eventually if it keeps overheating. I had one that kept needing to be restarted.

The knowledge and experience that you want access to is fairly standard. really what to do if a program crashes, and can routers overheat, and what to do if they do. Not really to do with firewalls.

Reply to
jameshanley39

and looking at your subject.. no, it doesn't look like a conflict between comodo and your modem. It may be a conflict between comodo and some other program. Or between comodo and windows. After some other program you once installed in windows.

But this is not a firewall problem. Not even a network problem. It's a standard, basic, computer question . Suitable for alt.computer but if you can post to a newsgroup you should really know enough to know the answer. You should've encountered a bug by now If you try/install software,

Reply to
jameshanley39

Yes James I have already implemented your valid suggestions. I tried running the modem on its side but it still did the same so I replaced Comodo. Can't be bothered to refresh XP, but am still running modem on its side. It does have rubber feet under the flat side to keep it clear of the surface plus holes top and bottom, so it is obviously meant to stand either way. That said I shall see how much longer it lasts before replacement. Thanks for your input...much appreciated.

Reply to
Julian Cann

Well, you can feel how hot it is with the back of your hand, and thus find a good orientation. As/if it gets worse it'll need restarting more frequently, eventually becoming unbearable, and you won't need to ask whether to get a new one.

I've had many bad experiences with routers getting hot. And that's with them on a wooden floor, not a carpet. I've found that the speedtouch 546 router/modem is reliable, I run it upside down and not on wooden floor, not the carpet. Rarely I lose internet connection for a moment, I think it restarts itself automatically quickly from time to time, but that's rare. I actually found it by calling Zen technical support - my isp, and having a chat with a techie on their 50p/min number, about this router overheating problem. He seemed well aware of this issue (a sign that he knew what he was talking about), and he said they don't have much problems with the speedtouch routers they sell. So I got one of the routers - happened to get it from their website. It's not wireless. But they have wireless routers of the same case design.

Doing a win xp repair is trivial, not a hassle at all. And not in any way related to the router crashing/overheating problem. On my machines I do it without even backing up files.

formatting link

Reply to
jameshanley39

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.