Leythos - If You Happen To Know Offhand

What would you consider to be the best firewall appliance for the home user in the $400 or less range?

Reply to
Spender
Loading thread data ...

I would pick a WatchGuard X15, MFG#: WG40015

formatting link
formatting link
These units, the low end, have a limited number of IP's on the LAN side that they will allow connections from - 30 for the X15 - meaning you can't have more than 30 devices accessing the X15 or they will be blocked.

If you want something with firewall features, but, you want unlimited IP/devices, I would suggest the D-Link DFL-700.

Now, I can't really spec something because you've not stated what you do as a home user, so I'm going to assume you don't have any public facing servers.

Reply to
Leythos

I have a X5W and it has all the options you need in a firewall. Mine is wireless which my son uses. It has an optional network that I use for the wireless connections and it has no access to the trusted network so you don't have to worry about your trusted network. The wireless is as secure as you can get for a wireless connection. Good Luck. You can't go wrong with Watchguard appliances.

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.