Comodo Firewall

Well, they can, provided the programmer was stupid enough. However, depending on the incompetence of malware-developers doesn't have anything to do with security. Not in my book at least.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers
Loading thread data ...

All groups change over time. This one used to have a wealth of advice and good discussion about software FWs. Now it doesn't. You're being very patient whilst being mercilessly trolled.

Reply to
jon

The PC game HOMM5, just one of many.

Reply to
Garrot

According to Wikipedia, Heroes Of Might And Magic V contains the copy protection SecuROM 7.x, which is well-known to be a (real, not just potential) privilege escalation vulnerability. Therefore I and any informed reasonable person considers it as malicious software, but not legitimate.

In other words: If you wanna play your games on a Windoze box, get a separate non-connected computer. Those common computer games and a serious workspace are mutually exclusive.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Why not just use an application firewall? me

Reply to
bassbag

It's terribly slow, so it's terribly incompetent.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Just to say that it's not slow. :-)

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Perhaps you need a modern computer...no slowdowns for me. me

Reply to
bassbag

I have never played nor installed Heroes of Might and Magic. Could you provide any details on how and what it's phoning home (Wireshark trace or something)?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Aha. And you cannot configure? Why not unplugging the net while gaming? If it's a network game, you have to communicate anyways.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote: [Registry]

IBTD. Just open Registry Editor, and search for a key.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You may understand that searching for an entry is not the common operation this database was optimized to, because this doesn't match with usual programs' requirements. Rather try looking up with known names/paths or enumerating small lists of values in one key, programmatically!

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

And why must it be so slow? It is very common to use it, at least I'm using it so commonly.

It's just because they're incompetent.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Because you cannot optimize for every scenario? I guess you're very familar with the typical data structures, whereas many implement the very same interface with focusing on different aspects, sucking at the other ones.

Would you ask why one should use an ArrayList instead of a LinkedList because adding/deleting entries from the middle of an ArrayList is damn slow? Or would you rather choose the List type which fits your needs best?

Searching for entries by name with unknown location simply is not very common, so either your usage scenario is pretty atypical or you're doing nonsense.

Lookups by known names/location and small enumeration are in fact the most commonly used operations for retrieving configuration data.

Actually in comparison to many other native databases the registry performs pretty well on lookups by only being encumbered in a very thin API wrapper and being heaviliy cached. You can easily get ~900 cycles for the first lookup and ~17 cycles for any following lookups, pretty much near the theoretical performance of any such database on x86 architecture.

They also make very good use of hash table sizes. Normally only growing in exponentiations of 2, sometimes they choose to use sparse blocks for very fast lookups (that's why you SAM is 256 KB instead of only 32 KB) as well as careful increase/shrinkage to intermediate sizes (that why you can get sizes of 1.5 * x**2).

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

With databases, this is not true. There is exactly no single reason, why it has to be so slow.

Please try to understand indexing.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Why should one add indexing to a specialized database that doesn't require fast searching? Just makes it more complex.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I'm really not interested in this. There is a functionality to search. It's slllllowwww. This is dumb, because this is completely unneccesary.

The implementation is incompetent.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Just makes it usable. If you don't want to offer a feature, don't offer it in UI.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Editing the registry manually isn't supposed to be the normal modus operandi, so you can offer slow features. I rather have a search function that is slow than not having any at all when I need one.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I don't think that this search function is unnecessary. However, you should only use it when you really need it, and normally you shouldn't need it at all. Normally, at best you should add or remove some entries at known locations manually, and generally you shouldn't need to edit the registry at all.

With your argumentation, you should also say that debuggers are useless, because it's a big hassle to debug programs.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.