Blocking Partypoker in netscreen25

Can anyone help me out with this?

We have decided to block PartyPoker at our workplace. I have looked around the internet but cant find any info on how to block this. I am VERY NEW to netscreens, so any links or step by step advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
ryan2044
Loading thread data ...

Assuming that PartyPoker is an application, you're putting your trials on the wrong layer. You should rather disallow your users to run any application that is not explicitly whitelisted.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Don't you think that it would be much more approciate to open a common prompt in before? The current directory a direct call to cmd.exe from Windows shell might end up everywhere - %userprofile%, %windir%, %windir%\\system32, %temp%, %systemdrive%....

And if you don't want such randomizations, you should either set a current path first, or at least you should provide the filename with an explicit location (e.g. > %userprofile%\\Desktop\\myfile.txt).

I still wonder why we need to discuss basic console usage...

Reply to
ryan2044

And this is the least reliable way. Not just that you may block many harmless websites on the same server, the evil guys will simply move to another server, use a load-balancer anyway or proxy connections on network failure.

Ouch!

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

WOW, thanks for all that help!

now can someone else help me without being an ass.....

The same way that you set a policy to block MSN, there has to be a way to block party poker....

Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:

Reply to
ryan2044

Hi,

better don't try to solve social problems by technical means. Better tell your users, that PartyPoker is unwanted with the exception of the breaks. If traffic to PartyPoker does not stop, then tell, that you will watch this now. And do so. And for everyone, who is using it again while working, do a punishment. And let other people know, that you're doing so.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.