blocking gator

Does anyone know what port gator makes it's broadcasts on and if there is in fact a way to block it? I know it is against the EULA to block it, but it is also against the EULA to uninstall Gator. Spyware is something that really makes me mad, and I don't want these unethical bastards spying on me and my wife anymore.

Reply to
FreeBSD User
Loading thread data ...

Are you using Windows on that machine. If so, get RegCleaner, and modify the startup list so that Gator does not start at boot time. Gator will still be there, but it will not start up, and its spyware will therefore, not run. How are they going to know if you uninstall Gator anyway? I have a couple of programs that use Gator advertising, and I just simply went in with RegCleaner, and took the Gator adware out of the StartUp list, and nothing has happened to me yet.

Reply to
Charles Newman

something that

Reply to
spirit

A silly workaround to 'blocking' is to create a local host entry for gator.com, and anything else you want, and then you'll never go anywhere for those domains. Thus not having to worry about blocking it, because gator will use, or even redirect if possible (including IM and P2P) out on port 80, so it's kind of difficult. If your machine is XP, you'll want to watch what names are being resolved by reviewing your dns cache, using ipconfig /displaydns, and then put in each entry that you don't care to have actually resolved. If you had a local DNS server, you could simply create zones for each domain and that would do the same thing.

OK, so stupidly long post, but you get the idea, which is the path of least resistance IMO.

Reply to
Munpe Q

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.