BlackICE Server blocking LAN Logins

Is there a way to configure BlackICE Server Protection (configured with the 'Paranoid' firewall, which has been proven to be mandatory due to the number of security breaches we suffered with less stringent settings) to permit local workstations to avoid being blocked when logging into the LAN's DHCP server?

I have excluded our internal LAN's IP range (192.168.0.0-192.168.0.100) from BlackICE's Intrusion Detection and added the same IP range as a 'Trusted' entry to the Advanced Firewall. But, unless I STOP the BlackICE engine, whenever a workstation tries to login to the server, they get an internal IP (169.xxx.xxx.xxx) and are unable to access the LAN.

I searched iss.net's knowledgebase, but did not find anything relevant.

Reply to
Fred Jones
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Fred Jones) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If you're using a Win 2K or Win 2K3 Server, then you could look into using IPsec to supplement the protection of BlackIce. And BlackIce will report on what IPsec is doing to protect the machine, if you have logging enabled and are using VisualIce (free) to view the logs.

formatting link

The AnalogX SecPol file will provide the protection.

formatting link
If you use *Trusted* in the rule, then the IDS is turned off on the rule. You should use *Accept* on the rule which turns on the IDS for the rule. And yes, you should have BI rules for the DHCP IP(s) that can access the machine. You can set the rule so that the DHCP IP(s) are for All Ports.

Using IPsec on the machine, you should be able to lower the protection level of BlackIce and still have the IDS functioning properly and the server should be protected.

HTH

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.