Blackice Firewall

Yea, so? You think I don't use a NAT router? Oh, right, I'm just a dumbass *home* user and wouldn't know what a NAT router is. I've illustrated to you and the rest of the dweebs here that Black Ice has a history of failing to do as it advertises, plus I have shown that they have resorted to scaremongering tactics to sell their product. You want to keep your head up your ass that's fine by me. Adios.

Reply to
Redmond du Barrymond
Loading thread data ...

Redmond du Barrymond wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's now 4/04/2005. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On other thing I was running my network with one of these back in the day.

formatting link
And BI was supplementing the NAT router.

You're a funny little Troll.

Like I said, I knew you would come back with something rediculous. ;-)

Ol'lay

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Incoherent gibberish does not make your case either little man.

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

I would have hoped so, but my otherwise friendly or colourful "AVG Free" virus protection sends in a blue card every day when I start my computer saying

"No viruses were found"

making me think of walruses and their big teeth and mustache.

"oh my prophetic soul!" [Hamlet] something kept me from making a real fool of myself. I never tried out "viri".

it is a strange and highly interesting fact that English rules the world with laws that are not enforceable except by majority consensus: millions and millions or billions accepting the same wee little almost imperceptible, undefinable and innumerable rules.

thank you very much.

Reply to
cantueso

And by the way, the vulnerability with BI didn't affect anyone who knew how to configure BI manually and not leave it in its automatic settings, like I did. You're just too young to be posting old and outdated stuff like this. ;-).

Well, little one it's time for your Pamper and bottle now. Like I said, you would go off the deep-end, eventually.

Ol'lay and *splat* to you and may the *force* in the sand box be with you. The only thing you have shown is that you're a pure some kind of little something from you know where.

Duane ;(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

That's being verbose without reason. "No virus found" would tell you just as much. :-)

Yep, and they don't even have to be right, nor consistent. People who use data as a singular will refuse to use aquaria as a plural. And you'll hear people speak of octopi and platypi. I can accept octopuses and platypuses (although I would prefer octopodes and platypodes), but octopi and platypi is even worse than viri.

Regards,

Reply to
Arthur Hagen

I am not sure. I think they live in Czechoslovakia or some other country in Eastern Europe, so that their English would be like mine, guesswork mostly and a lot of fun for some, torture for most.

!!! I see. the problem is not just here (in Europe).

:-D

no. I do not think I will ever *hear* them speak about these "octopi" and "platypi". I would have to go to very special restaurants, wouldn't I?

but "platypi" looks much worse.

Reply to
cantueso

Ambiguous - it could be interpreted as I found a copy of the virus knows as "No"

Reply to
Justins local account

The following information is directly quoted from the GRC.com website:

NetworkICE's BlackICE Defender Update Apparently Designed to Mislead its Users

"Eleven Months after the release of our first, simple, but effective and popular (7,891,272 downloads) LeakTest firewall testing utility, BlackICE Defender (BID) continues to "leak" ? as defined by LeakTest. But a recent update to BID (version 2.9cai) was hiding this fact from its users by effectively cheating the LeakTest.

Rather than enhancing BlackICE Defender by adding the sort of application-level controls that are available even from many completely free personal firewalls, BID's publisher, NetworkICE, apparently chose to prevent LeakTest's intended operation by adding specific awareness to BID of LeakTest's remote testing IP."

"This IP address-specific blocking could have falsely lead BID's users into believing that their updated BID firewall was now providing the sort of outbound blocking, protection, and awareness that LeakTest was designed to detect, test, and report. (And which all effective personal firewalls provide.)

Although we would celebrate the addition of true outbound application-aware control and blocking to BID, achieving that sort of protection is significantly more difficult ? and certainly far more valuable to its users ? than blocking a single IP address at Gibson Research Corp. in order to falsely appear to be doing more than they are."

LeakTest Version 1.1:

"Shortly after we learned of and confirmed this unfortunate decision on the part of NetworkICE's developers, we updated the original LeakTest v1.0 to version 1.1 by simply changing LeakTest's remote connection IP and port number. With that small (two byte) change, LeakTest was again able to communicate out through BlackICE Defender's complete lack of defenses, as it always has ? and as any other malicious hackerware or spyware presumably also could."

A recent BlackICE purchaser wrote to us:

"As someone who has recently purchased blackice defender, I was understandably worried by Steve's derogatory remarks about the program and it's functioning. So I mailed them [ISS/NetworkICE] and asked for comment. I paste it here un-altered, for whoever may wish to read it."

For those who are interested, here is the reply this BID user reportedly received from the anonymous "Trish M." at BlackICE Technical Support in reply to his concerns, followed by the reply I sent back to him (non-anonymously):

formatting link
- (Follow this link to read the reply)

Reply to
zeroday1

You really care about what security programs were doing back in 2001? Steve has a long history of leaving out-of-date articles and comments on his web site.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Ah, those were the days - Gibsonites fighting against those with a clue...

Reading that made me feel really old - even BlackIce is no longer around, it was killed off 2007 when IBM bought them...

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.