Blackice Firewall

And thanks for showing how ignorant you are by ignoring the other two urls. Blackice are like PestPatrol, scaremongers to drum up business. I don't buy from scumware companies.

Reply to
Redmond du Barrymond
Loading thread data ...

Sygate, asshole. You ignored the other two urls too, chump.

Reply to
Redmond du Barrymond

Where's all the other threads recommending Black Ice then? Ding! Ding! Ding! Anyone home?

Reply to
Redmond du Barrymond

Or just ignore you, punk....

Reply to
optikl

Redmond du Barrymond wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

BlackIce has had its problems along with the rest of them and is no worst than the others IMHO. Anything that's running with the O/S and is facing the Internet is very vulnerable to attack period. PFW(s) should not be called FW(s) when used to protect a single machine with a direct connection to the Internet as they are not separating two networks. I don't know what you can call it but it's not a FW in the true sense of being a FW.;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

This is even more outrageous than that other poster who didn't know anything.

And we have another one running around in the NG. It seems like once a year someone shows up that's hit the Gibson site. ;-)

The notion of stealth is crap and as long as the port is closed it is closed and stealth means nothing. I didn't get the expected response back from the FW when I did the prob. So I know that you're there for sure.

This is old an outdated stuff you're posting here about BI and Gibson's Leakiest. BI was configured to detect the LeakTest with the LeakTest signature being detected along with Application Control that was placed in the application to prevent LeakTest.exe or any other type of program from phoning home if the user's so chooses to stop the Leaktest.exe from communicating or executing.

LeakTest is crap an is by no means the marker of a FW solution's ability to stop traffic. Even FW solutions that cost $,$$$$.$$ cannot stop Leattest. If a program running on the machine makes a solicitation for input from a remote site or IP like the Leaktest client program making contact with the Leaktest server program, then the FW is going to allow that traffic back to the machine -- period that's any FW solution. The only way to truly stop traffic is to block that IP with a FW rule to block inbound or outbound traffic for the IP.

You need to settle down and stop running around in the NG with this non- sense.

Could it be that you're using ZA? ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for showing the audience how clueless you truly are by using Steve Gibson as a supporting argument.

greg

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

Did you not read the ZDnet review I posted? You are so 1337 cos you use Black Ice - NOT!

Reply to
Redmond du Barrymond

Look at them for what? We have all seen it before and someone like you showing-up every now and then acting the *clown*. It's nothing new. ;-)

LOL

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Once again, only someone with some technical expertise really knows how to use BI effectively and apparently you have none to speak of. You're a clueless home user running around loose in the NG. You ran to the Gibson site of all things to run too for some supporting evidence and did a little reading and think you know something.

formatting link
BI just happens to combine the two technologies.

You need to do a little reading and learn and basically stop posting non-sense and insulting people like you're some kind of *clown* from *Hell*.

The same BI engine for the pc is the same one that's being used in some ISS's enterprise IDS solutions.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Melissa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

I don't attack people off the top of the bat like this. There is a difference in my approach as to when I'll use gun fire. And besides, that other NG is the other NG and I have been in other NG(s) where people I have some respect for went through the same thing in that NG with the argumentative characters in it when I have made mention of the NG for possible solutions. I am not there to debate anything with any of them and don't want to do it either to be frank and honest about it. It wasn't the first and it won't be the last time I'll run into some nut case that frequents that NG.

I don't go out of my way to post to any of them. So, they got what they deserved which was a *ragging* and I loved evey bit of it. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I think I have finally understood the idea.

as you can see, I did not understand the purpose of the "attacks". now I see that the "attackers" would be programs that routinely look for unprotected computers whose identity might be used for instance to cover up illegal activities.

since I am nobody in particular, I simply could not imagine what anyone would try to find on my computer.

I rarely looked at the "events", and there was only once an orange icon representing a TCP port scan.

I think now I understand the idea. I had only some notion about "viruses". the notion stuck because of that ugly plural. if only I knew enough Latin to decide whether that plural ought to be "viri"! as it is I cannot even protest.

I have just discovered the editing "menu". (you would not notice, being used to it, but the computer people are re-inventing the language so that, to define one unknown term, they use half a dozen unknown ones). and I changed the settings.

people who are not savvy hate to change any "settings" because this has sometimes been the first in a series of tragic events.

thank you very much!

Reply to
cantueso

What are you talking about? I don't care about someone's review of something. I have used BI and continue to use the product on my laptop machine. A review is like an opinion and they are a dime a dozen and everyone has one. I also use a WatchGuard FW appliance. I have also used IPsec.

formatting link
You need to come up with some technical expertise on your own and not Gibson or some dime a dozen review.

I have been in the IT field since 1971 and started in the client server world in 1996 when I finally made the move all the way into that environment. I have been doing programming since 1980 and have passed more that a few IBM and MS certification tests.

Show me something other than what you're showing here. Where is your technical expertise?

I can see where this is going to head with you jumping off into the deep end. You have already made the leap. I am just waiting for the *splat* into the cement pool, because there is no water in the pool for you. ;-)

You come flying in here like some kind of a nut and you have rocketed out passed the Moon. Hell you have already left the pad. Slow down there young fella -- slow down. You are destroying yourself out the gate.

I am just looking out for your best interest. I got your back. ;-)

I know you're going to come back and post something rediculous so go ahead and be my guest.

Ol'lay

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What are you talking about? I don't care about someone's review of something. I have used BI and continue to use the product on my laptop machine. A review is like an opinion and they are a dime a dozen and everyone has one. I also use a WatchGuard FW appliance. I have also used IPsec.

formatting link
You need to come up with some technical expertise on your own and not Gibson or some dime a dozen review.

I have been in the IT field since 1971 and started in the client server world in 1996 when I finally made the move all the way into that environment. I have been doing programming since 1980 and have passed more that a few IBM and MS certification tests.

Show me something other than what you're showing here. Where is your technical expertise?

I can see where this is going to head with you jumping off into the deep end. You have already made the leap. I am just waiting for the *splat* into the cement pool, because there is no water in the pool for you. ;-)

You come flying in here like some kind of a nut and you have rocketed out passed the Moon. Hell you have already left the pad. Slow down there young fella -- slow down. You are destroying yourself out the gate.

I am just looking out for your best interest. I got your back. ;-)

I know you're going to come back and post something rediculous so go ahead and be my guest.

Ol'lay

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Virus" is a "group singular", like "money" and "slime". To be correct, you should really use "virus" in most cases, and "viruses" in the few cases where "virus" used to describe multiple virus won't work, and "virus strains" or "virus specimens" doesn't cover what you mean.

Viri (and virii) is always incorrect.

Regards,

Reply to
Arthur Hagen

Oh puhleeze, stop embarrassing yourself moron.

Quoting 3 & 4 year old URLs which reference gibsons nonsense is laughable.

Who cares what you buy, now run along and play in the traffic like a good little boy.

greg

Reply to
Greg Hennessy

You are welcome. :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ice-Ice-Baby. Fell for the scaremongering, eh?. You corporate dweebs are compromised on a daily basis, not to mention the fact you are mostly reponsible for the spread of viri on the net because you are too stupid to know how to protect your email.

formatting link
April 18th, 2003, 05:05 AM

1) Your getting cracked.

2)From what I understand there are about 10 or 15 diffrent ways to get through Black Ice as well as a few programs running around that can do it for you, giving script kiddes a way to access you as well which is

10 times worse than a cracker IMO.
Reply to
Redmond du Barrymond

Yea, Black Ice was really protecting you well back in 2002. eh?. All that schooling didn't do much for you.

formatting link
Security Hole in BlackICE Updated 4:20 AM, Feb. 14, 2002 by Graeme Bennett. A security problem has been discovered in the popular BlackICE firewall. The flaw affects all current versions of BlackICE Defender and BlackICE Agent, on PC systems running Windows XP and Windows 2000. Researchers say the hole could let hackers remotely control the victim's computer, steal or modify files, or spy on their Internet habits. A patch is available here.

Reply to
Redmond du Barrymond

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.