Just started getting "cable unplugged" message

Environment: Windows XP Home Edition SP2 Computer: Dell Dimension 8200 ISP: COX cable modem Modem: LinkSys EtherFast Cable Modem Network card: CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ehernet Adaper

I intermittently see the "cable unplugged" message appear in my Windows XP taskbar. This just started recently after working fine for over two years.

My question is a simple one (I think).

Is this more likely a problem with the signal from my ISP (COX cable modem) - or is it more likely it is my cable modem? For that matter, perhaps the gremlin is my network card.

As always, thank you in advance.

Michael

Reply to
Michael T
Loading thread data ...

The cable modem has a network interface. It's not a swappable card like the one in the computer. It could be that interface. It could be your NIC. It could be the cable.

The most likely point of failure is the cable, specifically the connectors on each end.

The second most likely point of failure is the NIC in the computer. Issues could include power management causing the NIC to shut down, a bad transceiver, or a failure to automatically negotiate a connection (10 or 100, and full or half-duplex). Check your power management settings to prevent the NIC from shutting down, and try specifying the connection speed and mode.

Last on the list would be the cable modem's network interface. Coincidently one of the issues there could be a failure to automatically negotiate a speed and mode, and specifying one at the NIC could resolve the problem.

I believe the transceiver on the Linksys modem should support

100/Full-Duplex, but since the DOCSIS standard is only 10/Half- Duplex it shouldn't matter what speed and mode is selected, as long as there is agreement between the interfaces. You can't change what the network interface in the cable modem wants to connect at, so it's just a matter of matching it. And if you have to do that manually instead of automatically, it's no big deal. Try 100/Full first, then 10/Full, then 10/Half.
Reply to
Warren

I would think it indicates a problem from your NIC to the cable modem. Have you tried replacing the cable from the NIC to the cable modem?

Reply to
Dave

Thanks everyone. Acting on your tips I discovered the following.

Weeks ago I had taken my long CAT 5 Ethernet cable and coiled it before applying a twist tie. Well the coiled cable (between NIC and cable modem) dangled in the air behind my PC. This apparently caused stress on the connection at the jack (at either end) causing a poor connection.

Michael

Reply to
Michael T

As others posted, first check the cable and connections between your modem and computer (to be honest, you should have a broadband router for protection.)

It could be the card. There is a computer at work where the built-in network controller was flakey, no matter which cable and connection we tried. We ended up putting in a separate network card.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

It is somewhere between the NIC and the cable modem. NOTE: I said BETWEEN them. I suspect you've got a loose connector on one end or the other. Or maybe your pets have been chewing on your ethernet cable. :) -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.