Adsl Connection stop responding when downloading torrents

Hello i have encountering months now i problem with all my bittorrent clients. When iam downloading torrents with cleiant like Azureus, ABC etc after

10-15 minutes or so my connection is dropped/stops responding.

With p2p apps like emule/Limewire same thing doesn nto happen.

I cant explain it, can you?

Reply to
Nicky
Loading thread data ...

Please exaplin to me in a mor e grait detail about the problem and makes you think will work this way.

Reply to
Nicky

try limiting the upload to about 80% of rated capacity

hth

Philip Ashley

Reply to
Philip Ashley

I saw that MTU is Maximum Transfer Unit but still i dont know what its about. Can you please enlight me? And also i looked at my web interface panel a http://10.0.0.138 to conf MTU but didnt see an entry for that. From where ic an change this?!

Reply to
Nicky

Cable and dsl uses fixed numbers of MTUs? The numbers are refering to bytes?

The MTU concept suprises me that it can vary because i thought that every ip packet had a fixed size and it wasnt variable.

Why if it breaks it decreses perfomance?

And is there an option on XP that will allow me to change this MTU value?

Reply to
Nicky

Set your MTU setting to 1430 or 1400 and see if that fixes the problem.

Reply to
Leythos

Hi.

Looks like bandwidth congestion, try using netlimiter to limit bandwidth for each application accessing the net.

NetLimiter:

formatting link

-aljuhani

Reply to
aljuhani

MTU is the size of the packet it can send before it has to break it into many packets - if you set it for 1500 (cable modem) and you are using DSL (1400) then it will have to break every packet into two parts to send - which decreases your performance.

No, call your ISP.

Reply to
Leythos

Are you connected via a DSL or Cable Router NAT box or are you directly connected to the Internet?

Cable uses a larger number because it mostly is faster and more like a LAN than DSL.

DSL is mostly slower and more like ISDN (older method) and most times ISP's run 1400 or 1430 for their size - I don't question it, just check it and set it.

It's not broke, it's just not always detected and set to the Optimal value - if you have a NAT box they often permit you to manually set the MTU size - if you are using Windows XP connected directly to the Internet, well you have a lot more problems than MTU size.

So, are you direct connect or do you have a router/NAT?

Reply to
Leythos

In article , Nicky wrote: :Cable and dsl uses fixed numbers of MTUs? :The numbers are refering to bytes?

:The MTU concept suprises me that it can vary because i thought that :every ip packet had a fixed size and it wasnt variable.

The maximum length of an IP packet depends on the link layer protocol, and on the medium, and on any extensions supported end-to-end. "IP" is a generalized protocol that in theory has quite large maximum packets, but it is usually used over media such as twisted pair ethernet that have much lower limits (for various reasons.)

Consumer broadband cable and DSL usually use MTU that are the same as consumer ethernet, but the key to this puzzle is that there may be additional protocol layers in use on the cable or DSL line that "use up" some of the available bytes. DSL in particular often uses a format known as PPPoE, which uses up 8 bytes per packet, leaving 1492 available. Some DSL vendors use internal protocols that may use up a fair number of other bytes.

One notable layer that uses roughly 150 bytes, is "IPSec", a standardized protocol used to create Virtual Private Networks (VPNs). Cable or DSL providers might have an IPSec layer active in order to ensure the privacy of your communications -- but if they do then the maximum packet size you might have left might go down to about 1340. The end result is still 1500 bytes on the wire, but you only have access to a portion of those with the rest going for overhead.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

MTU is the maximum packet size an IP packet can have on a route; for getting detailled information on this topic, you could read RFC 1191:

------------------------------ snip -------------------------------- When one IP host has a large amount of data to send to another host, the data is transmitted as a series of IP datagrams. It is usually preferable that these datagrams be of the largest size that does not require fragmentation anywhere along the path from the source to the destination. (For the case against fragmentation, see [5].) This datagram size is referred to as the Path MTU (PMTU), and it is equal to the minimum of the MTUs of each hop in the path.

------------------------------ snap --------------------------------

To configure maximum packages sizes being used by your device, have a look into the documentation of this device.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Sorry but I still dont understand how upload could help! What i understanded so far is to set the MTU to 1430 or 1400 value which is what iam trying at rhe moment to do through Tune-Up Utilities app, since with xp i dont know from where i can change this value and also routers web panl dont have an indication for that!

Reply to
Nicky

my only localhost is behind an adsl NAT modem/router.

Reply to
Nicky

Thank you very much for the explanation of why an ip packet doesnt have a fixed size but it varies cause of the layers encapsulate each part of the information and the medium too. :-)

Reply to
Nicky

you need to allow an amount of upload capacity to allow communication with downloading sources or there will be a slowdown As someone suggested, netlimiter could control that.

hth

philip ashley

Reply to
Philip Ashley

Well my setup is INTERNET >> ISP ADSL Modem/Router(1 device) >>

COMPUTER

Also in web panel i see no option to change MU so i change it through an app called tun-up to 1430 :-)

Did i do well?

Reply to
Nicky

Still the problem persists although i have changed MTU to 1430.

Also what is bridged mode?

I cant afford now another router also :-)

My router/modem is a SpeedTouch 530

Reply to
Nicky

ok. When iam downloading torrents with client like Azureus, ABC etc. after

10-15 minutes or so my connection is dropped/stops responding. Although some thing doesnt happen with eMule and Limewaire or kazaa only with torrents.

I dont know why though. maybe its the mtu thats was set to 1500 and now imatrying both 1400 and 1430 to see whats best.

Unfortunatelt my web panel doenst hae an option to set mtu of my router. So how would i know if its 1400 or 1430?

Although it might be the MTU i dont understand yet why it causes problem. Can you please explain to me in asimple detailed way?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Nicky

Ok, so don't adjust the MTU of your computer, you don't need to adjust it. Only adjust the MTU setting of the NAT modem/router.

Just to make sure that I understand:

INTERNET >> ISP HARDWARE >> DSL ROUTER >> COMPUTER

If you are setup like above, you set the DSL ROUTER MTU, not the computer MTU.

If you are setup like this (below):

INTERNET >> ISP DSL MODEM >> COMPUTER

Then you've got a lot of issues, the DSL MODEM should be in Bridge Mode, then you install a DSL ROUTER (like in the top drawing), and you set the MTU to 1430 for it.

Reply to
Leythos

But i ahve set port forward to those ports.

Reply to
Nicky

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.