56k router with nat

I've been searching a lot for an external or internal 56k RJ-11 router for a relative in order to provide nat for a single pc. I've been unsucessful. Any suggstions are welcome.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the suggestion. I also wonder now if they make rj-11 to RS232 adapters, are am I dreaming? I'll check. If so, she could keep her winmodem. Just trying to help an elderly member of my family get nat on a 56K dialup as cheaply and uncomplicated as possible. If anyone has leads on a RS232 router, I'd welcome any input.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

"Jack Sandweiss" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Why not just get you a standalone modem that dials at 56K that has a RS232 connection and find a router that has the RS232 connection? The computer via the router would make the modem dial via its Rj45 connection to the router. That is how a friend who had dial-up did it as I recall.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I hadn't been to that link, but it seems like the basis for some phone calls. I'm usually pretty good at finding what I need quickly. I do "search and call", but failed on this one. Thanks.

Jack

>
Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

"Jack Sandweiss" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Might I suggest you do the proper searches with Google or Dogpile.com. If you see something that interest you, then go to the manufacture's website for the product and look at the product specification sheet and look t the features. You may also get on the phone with sales people and further discuss with them what you're looking for in a product.

I also saw routers in some other searches the had both the RJ11 and RS232 built in so it looked to be that you could go either way with the hookup to a modem some even had built in modem.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

With a router like the "SMC7004ABR Barricade Cable/DSL" you can connect an external dial-up modem to it by serial cable and it allows the option of using the dial-up modem as a secondary means of connecting (automatically switches if the Cable or DSL connection fails) OR as the primary (only) connection. Of course you'd need to buy an external serial cable modem and a networking card if you didn't already have them. I've seen the cards offered for as little as $5 after rebates, external serial V.92/V.44 modems in the $20-$30 range and the router in the $60-$80 range. With a little careful shopping you could probably put it together for around $100.

Best Data has a 56K Dual PC Modem with Built-in Router (#56NET) that might be worth looking into. It has everything for connecting two computers to the Internet except the networking cards. While it lists at US$99, it's fairly easy to find in the US$60 range.

Reply to
dak

I'm getting closer. Thanks for the input.

Jack

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.