Problem with NAT (Help!)

I have a good connection to the Internet (10mb up and down) at my house and it is router and motorola wireless access point with 17 wireless clients on it. The system works well but my problem is that everyone that connects is NATed and goes through only one public address so if more than one user goes to rapid share at a time then he has to wait for another user to finish his download! Also some websites identify the user by their IP address which is always the same public address! This is causing problems and complaints!

I have a few more static public addresses but how would I give them to my users? I don't know how to this?

Is there a type of router that will let me use the other addresses I have different users?

Is there a way that I make all of my internal addresses appear to be like public addresses? Sure I could do port mapping but I would really like a way for each address to have its own host info and identity on the Internet. Sure I could do port mapping and port forwarding but would like to do better than that.

Thank you for your time!

Reply to
Jack Kipster
Loading thread data ...

if you happen to have several power users, and spare static addresses to assign just to them, and don't need to do file and print sharing between those users, you can try settings the properties to use this ip address instead of checking "obtain an ip address automagically"....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yes that is what I want to do. What router can I buy that will do both NAT for my internal IP's and not NAT for my publc IP's ???

For example I want my internal IP's to be 10.10.x.x which are NATed and 215.213.18.x for my static public addresses. With my current router if I assign a user 215.213.18.x adress it won't work/

Thank you and I really hope someone can help!!

Thank you

Reply to
Jack Kipster

are you using vista or xp (or something else) different way to do it for different operating systems... However, it still may not do what you want... you will still be subject to the max wireless speed for all users and lockups when one grabs the wap/router while it does big downloads, and while your isp may give you 10mbps total for all, that is way less than

54/100/1000 that you will be max/limited to by the router (ie if you use 4 static ip's, you will be limited to max 10 mb combined for all 4, since thats the max your internet connection supports... ie you won't get 4*10)

it will help the problem with the same people going to the same website and the same ip address being used, but make no difference in the rapidshare problem....

if you just want to use different/hidden ip's at different websites, check out (search/Google) one/several of the no-ip sites (just did a search for no ip address and got over 23 million hits), and see if any of them have something

Reply to
Peter Pan

Jack Kipster wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You're not going to be able to do that with the standard commodity NAT rtr's.

You *MAY* be able to do it with a Mikrotik-based AP solution, but I have never needed to do anything like that, so I'm not sure. You could contact them and ask.

Reply to
DanS

No, because your router is doing NAT, and as such will ignore any traffic inside that appears to originate from those public IPs. Do they absolutely need public addresses? You may find that 1:1 NAT does the job just as well, and they'll be able to still use a private IP to talk to other machines inside.

What model of router do you have now?

He's not asking how to set a static IP address up on his PCs. He's asking what model of router will do 1:1 NAT or no-NAT for some hosts, and NAT overload for everyone else.

Reply to
alexd

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You can in principle allocate static internal addresses to some users and use static NAT for those addresses and use the original dynamic overloaded NAT for the remaining users.

No idea what "home" router might support that however for sure Cisco routers do.

For 10M symmetric connection you might want to aviod the absolute base models. Especially if doing firewalling also.

880 might be OK, 1800 definately.

Of course then you need to set it up:-) Until quite recently they were shipped pretty much dead but they now have an IP address, DHCP and a web based GUI.

Any professional grade router will support the feature but I have only used Cisco.

Reply to
bod43

You didn't mention the model of your SDSL modem but Motorola have SDSL modems that allow "transparent IP mapping"

Reply to
LR

What kind of Internet connection ? for 10mb up AND down - sounds like a metro Ethernet product, or some other flavor. What router and AP are your currently using ? You have 17 wireless connections at your "house" ?

A NAT router does just that - maps all users to a single IP address. BTW - what is "rapid share" ?

Seems odd for a website to do that... what about all the "dynamic" IP users that access that website ? I can see it for logging and such - but to "remember" an IP address ? Guess I've seen some incoming packets trying to access my systems from "remembered dynamic IP addresses".

You almost need 2 routed lans - one for the NAT folks, and another for your Public IP users... Not really possible in the normal construct and definitions of consumer routers. Might check on the Cisco newsgroup - to see if any version can handle your scenario.

Reply to
ps56k

It's a file sharing thing:

formatting link
uploads a file and multiple people can then download it, but there can only be one concurrent download per source IP.

I think they limit each source IP to a single download at a time, so multiple users sharing a single (NATed) source IP would mean only one of those people could download at a time and the others would have to wait. When the first one finishes, one more download would be allowed to proceed.

I haven't used it, but that's my understanding.

Reply to
Char Jackson

sounds about right - if that is their intent - gee.... wonder what kind of files are being "uploaded" and then downloaded by folks...

Reply to
ps56k

Thank you everyone for the input. I am going to try the Cisco newsgroup for more help.

Reply to
Jack Kipster

Its a wireless connection from a broadband company that provides high speed in this area. Speeds are burstable to 100mbps for $300 a month.

I'm going to check out Cisco but I would think there must be other routers that can do this also???

I don't like being confined to Cisco. All I really need is a router that has multiple DHCP servers... one for internal addresses and another for public addresses.

Reply to
Jack Kipster

Are you open to having multiple cheap consumer ap's/ssid's and use the default gateway to set seperate default dns addresses?

Reply to
Peter Pan

since your main focus seems to be the "rapid sharing" website issue of them using the IP address to restrict concurrent access, along with having 17 "users" in your "house".... this seems more and more like a college dorm issue with people wanting to download "stuff"......

SO - good luck - and doubt you will find an easy way to use traditional consumer routers that will operate as both a NAT router AND also somehow support multiple public IP assigned addresses so you can download even more "stuff".

Reply to
ps56k

Anybody taking odds on this? My bet is on homework (or possibly test) answers...

Reply to
David Kerber

When I heard rapidshare mentioned, my first thought was along the same lines as ps56k. *shrug*

Reply to
Char Jackson

Rapidshare allows free downloads from the same IP address every 15 minutes, unless you pay for a premium account, which allows you unlimited uploads and downloads.

Reply to
Artie Lange

dd-wrt will let you assign different SSIDs to different VLANs, negating the need for multiple IPs.

Reply to
alexd

I would be interested to hear what the definition of a consumer router is.

Your life would be easier if you stuck to one LAN subnet, used static DHCP assignments for machines that need their own public IP, and 1:1 NAT to/from them.

m0n0wall supports 1:1 NAT:

formatting link
pfSense supports 1:1 NAT:

formatting link
dd-wrt supports 1:1 NAT:

formatting link
Tomato/MLPPP supports 1:1 NAT:

formatting link

Zeroshell suports 1:1 NAT:

formatting link

Also has L7filter which will let you manage P2P traffic. You could probably run Ntop on it as well, which is a great real-time traffic monitor [ie it'll let you see who's hammering the internet connection].

Some of the above will run on an embedded router, some require a PC with multiple NICs. The router based ones will probably struggle to deliver 100M throughput.

Sonicwalls support 1:1 NAT.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.