Problem with NAT (Help!)

I have a good connection to the Internet (10mb up and down) at my house and it is router and motorola wireless access point with 17 wireless clients on it. The system works well but my problem is that everyone that connects is NATed and goes through only one public address so if more than one user goes to rapid share at a time then he has to wait for another user to finish his download! Also some websites identify the user by their IP address which is always the same public address! This is causing problems and complaints!

I have a few more static public addresses but how would I give them to my users? I don't know how to this?

Is there a type of router that will let me use the other addresses I have different users?

Is there a way that I make all of my internal addresses appear to be like public addresses? Sure I could do port mapping but I would really like a way for each address to have its own host info and identity on the Internet. Sure I could do port mapping and port forwarding but would like to do better than that.

Thank you for your time!

Reply to
Jack Kipster
Loading thread data ...

What kind of Internet connection ? for 10mb up AND down - sounds like a metro Ethernet product, or some other flavor. What router and AP are your currently using ? You have 17 wireless connections at your "house" ?

A NAT router does just that - maps all users to a single IP address. BTW - what is "rapid share" ?

Seems odd for a website to do that... what about all the "dynamic" IP users that access that website ? I can see it for logging and such - but to "remember" an IP address ? Guess I've seen some incoming packets trying to access my systems from "remembered dynamic IP addresses".

You almost need 2 routed lans - one for the NAT folks, and another for your Public IP users... Not really possible in the normal construct and definitions of consumer routers. Might check on the Cisco newsgroup - to see if any version can handle your scenario.

Reply to
ps56k

It's a file sharing thing:

formatting link
uploads a file and multiple people can then download it, but there can only be one concurrent download per source IP.

I think they limit each source IP to a single download at a time, so multiple users sharing a single (NATed) source IP would mean only one of those people could download at a time and the others would have to wait. When the first one finishes, one more download would be allowed to proceed.

I haven't used it, but that's my understanding.

Reply to
Char Jackson

sounds about right - if that is their intent - gee.... wonder what kind of files are being "uploaded" and then downloaded by folks...

Reply to
ps56k

since your main focus seems to be the "rapid sharing" website issue of them using the IP address to restrict concurrent access, along with having 17 "users" in your "house".... this seems more and more like a college dorm issue with people wanting to download "stuff"......

SO - good luck - and doubt you will find an easy way to use traditional consumer routers that will operate as both a NAT router AND also somehow support multiple public IP assigned addresses so you can download even more "stuff".

Reply to
ps56k

Anybody taking odds on this? My bet is on homework (or possibly test) answers...

Reply to
David Kerber

When I heard rapidshare mentioned, my first thought was along the same lines as ps56k. *shrug*

Reply to
Char Jackson

Rapidshare allows free downloads from the same IP address every 15 minutes, unless you pay for a premium account, which allows you unlimited uploads and downloads.

Reply to
Artie Lange

yeah - and his "horndog" email address is a nice touch also.... thinking maybe bigger stuff - with an internal 10mb link (sounds campus wide ethernet) and only 1 person at a time can download..... it would have to be a HUGE file - like maybe a "shared" HD movie :)

Reply to
ps56k

Had not thought along the lines of the DMZ and NAT 1:1

This whole scenario is based on the need for multiple external, WAN, IP addresses being mapped to the internal folks..... either explicit/static or dynamic -

The main users appear to be downloading "stuff" from a file sharing website that logs the IP address, and only allows a single user download per IP address.

SO - when using traditional NAT with a single dynamic WAN address the users are restricted to only one user at a time.... hence the need for multiple external addresses.

In summary - do any of the mainstream consumer off the shelf routers/WAPs like say the Linksys, Netgear, Dlink products offer NAT 1:1 as a selection vs just the DMZ mapping ?

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.