splicer for large-core and YDDC fibers

Hallo,

I post this question for anybody acquainted in this topic:

I am interested in buying a fusion splicer for large-core fibers (~400um) and yitterbium-doped-double-cladding (YDDC) fibers. Application is fiber lasers. By browsing the net I found that VYTRAN GPX3400 could be the right instrument. Is there anybody using it so I can get an opinion about its performance? Furthermore, what's the order of magnitude of the cost of such an instrument (I contacted the seller but I haven't got any reply yet)? Last but not least, do you know any other option to this machine (i.e. other brands that produce similar or better devices)? Or do you know any surplus-supplier of such products?

Thank you very much in advance

Max

Reply to
asnass
Loading thread data ...

I saw one from Fujikura.

Andrius

Reply to
andmar7

Thank you Andrius. I asked for more information about this machine. Just for your knowledge (and for that of anyone interested) I got to know that the price for a new Vytran GPX3400 is above 50k$. The cost strongly depends on the accessories and configuration.

Cheers

Max

Reply to
asnass

I've used three different brands of splicers including Vytran (although not the particular model you are interested in). It is hands down the best for spicing weird fibers because it is the most versatile. Fujikura is my second favorite splicer, however I haven't used any of the recent models.

One of the great things I liked about Vytran is the customer service. It is very easy to get a person on the phone and help with any aspect of splicing. I even sent strange fiber to them so that they could come up with a maximized "recipe" for splicing it on my model splicer. Absolutely great to deal with. Fujikura wasn't so helpful, at least not six years ago. They might have improved since.

P. Danek

Reply to
danek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.