Core Switcg redundency

Hi guys,

I have one 4510R Core Switch, where I want to install another one to configure glbp. I am worried of the Symantec firewall which is connected directly to the 4510R Core Switch, now the question is the following: Do i need to have a separate Symantec firewall for the new 4510R? Or shall I just connect the Firewall, and the 2 Core Switches to one access switch, that connects to the WAN?

Regards, Andy.

Reply to
Andy
Loading thread data ...

Implementing redundancy ... how long is a piece of string? How far do you want to go? How much money do you have? Is the business aware of and accepts the risks associated with maintaining a single point of failure for the WAN?

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Well, i will give them all the options we have and they get to decide how much to pay. i know i can have WAN redundency, but i am wondering does the Symantec has a problem if we connect the firewall, and two core switches into one WAN access switch?

Reply to
Andy

Andy, There's no problem either way, but with the design below you now have two single points of failure - one firewall and one wan switch. If you truly want a fully redundant system then you need two isp links, two routers, two firewalls and two switches, making sure you have each "half" served from a different power-supply.

Neil Pike Protech Computing Ltd

Reply to
Neil Pike

Thx guys, really appreciate it.

Reagards, Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Does the firewall have another nic or can you add one to connect to the second core switch and avoid the single wan switch scenario?

Reply to
BernieM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.