TBI / RTBI

I am looking today at the different ways to connect a MAC with a PHY. I found a lot of things, which I summarise here:

Protocol --- Eth. Speed --- Signale --- Clock speed MII --- 10/100 --- 16 --- 2,5 / 25 MHz RMII --- 10/100 --- 6 / 7 --- 5 / 50 MHz SMII --- 10/100 --- 4 --- 125 MHz GMII --- 10/100/1000 --- 27 --- 125 MHz RGMII --- 10/100/1000 --- 12 --- 2,5 / 25 / 125 MHz SGMII --- 10/100/1000 --- 4 diff.pairs --- 625 MHz (clk) / 1,25 GHz (data)

Unfortunatly, I am missing infos about the Ten Bit Interfaces TBI and RTBI. According to a paper from HP

formatting link
page 3, it seems that there are just a few differences between RTBI and RGMII. What about TBI and GMII?

I didn't found any specs fot TBI oder RTBI on the net. Does anyone know more about them?

have a nice week-end :-) Francis

Reply to
francis.ielsch
Loading thread data ...

The Ten Bit Interface is connected to SerDes (serialiser/deserialisers) which transport data serially at 1.25G/s. As the data has been 8 bit to 10 bit encoded this is equivalent to a 1 Gbs throughput.

Two SerDes can be connected directly to each other or to opto-electronics for fibre optic transmission.

You can find more information in Clause 36 of IEEE 802.3

Reply to
Marris

Hi Marris!

I don't have access to the IEEE 802.3. If you know it, could you just tell me how many single signals or differential pairs are needed for TBI and RTBI and which clock frequency they require?

regards, Francis

Reply to
francis.ielsch

Hi Marris!

I don't have access to the IEEE 802.3. If you know it, could you just tell me how many single signals or differential pairs are needed for TBI and RTBI and which clock frequency they require?

regards, Francis

Reply to
francis.ielsch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.