switch problems

Hi,

I am having problems with connectivity. I have a LAN that is splitted in 2 segment, segment 1 has 12 PCs and segment 2 has 14 PCs. Both segment are joined through a switch, 16 port each.

|PC1| |PC2| .... |PC12|

------------------------ | | ------------ |switch 1 | ------------ | | | ------------ |switch 2 | ------------ | |

------------------------ -------- |PC1| |PC2| .... |PC14| |SERVER|

The problem is until yesterday all were working OK, but today the PCs on segment 1 (switch 1) can not connect to server, neither between them. If I turn off switch 1, and turn it on, I have connection but only for a few seconds and then there is nothing again. If I put a old hub replacing the switch 1, everything works fine. I have tested 2 switches with same results, and I have checked the wired and seems everything allright.

What is going on? Maybe electrical interferences ?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
gfexrd
Loading thread data ...

Did someone change the cable between the two switches? It sounds to me like a cross-over cable was installed between the two switches at some point. If you install a hub instead of a switch on LAN 1, everything transmitted by the switch will be broadcast to all hosts in LAN 1. Which is the correct way for a hub to be connected. But switches expect straight-through cables when they are interconnected.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Did someone change the cable between the two switches? It sounds to me like a cross-over cable was installed between the two switches at some point. If you install a hub instead of a switch on LAN 1, everything transmitted by the switch will be broadcast to all hosts in LAN 1. Which is the correct way for a hub to be connected. But switches expect straight-through cables when they are interconnected.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.