Translating Ethereal Adapter Names to Windows System Names

Etherneal 0.99 under Windows uses very strange obfuscated names for each network adapter port. Apparently the long alphanumeric string identifier to identify unique port instances of each card type is not a Mac address. How does a Windows user translate these Ethereal port names into the names that Windows uses in Network Connections?

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

When I use windump OR Ethereal I see an adaptor description that allows me to identify the correct adaptor. I have one Intel and one Compaq.

Also:- The registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters\\Interfaces\\{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562FFC22AB}

(in my case) contains all of the configuration details for the interface including the IP address which will allow you to unambiguously identify the adaptor.

Clearly if you needed to do this a lot you would want a better tool.

It MUST I guess be possible to set the description somewhere?

C:\\Program Files\\nMap>windump -D

1.\\Device\\NPF_GenericDialupAdapter (Generic dialup adapter) 2.\\Device\\NPF_{0325987F-4C34-4972-8F1C-CD37084F27CA} (Compaq Ethernet/Fast Ether net Adapter/Module (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) ) 3.\\Device\\NPF_{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562FFC22AB} (Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Driver (Microsoft's Packet Scheduler) )

I use Etherel from time to time and I don't have a major problem with this.

Reply to
anybody43

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters\\Interf aces\\{554899B0-FAF8-4DFE-9ED2-D0562FFC22AB}

I guess when you are using ethereal on a firewall where there are 10 plus ethernets, it's a pretty nasty problem.

As a worst case, couldn't the ethereal developers let the user specify some kind of nickname for each adapter, and then present that nickname in the list of networks to sniff?

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.