Media Access protocol on IEEE 802.3 and Ethernet ?

Why do I smell homework questions?

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

I assume you mean 802.3, not 802.e (the keys are adjacent on a qwerty keyboard).

Ethernet/802.3 uses 1-persistent CSMA, with collision detect (in half-duplex mode).

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

In article , Tito wrote: :What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?

:CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?

:And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?

You can read all the gory details yourself on IEEE's web site.

formatting link
Or for a summary, see

formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Nowadays, as the saying goes: no CS, no MA, and no CD.

What is 'CA' supposed to mean?

Apart from that, the questions are ill-posed, as none of them cover material differences between "802.3" and "Ethernet" - both of these largely overlapping topical areas encompass the same set of various access methods, as far as I know.

For all practical purposes, "802.3" and "Ethernet" are used as synonyms.

As usual, it is not really possible to guess the _correct_ answers to your homework problem set, because we don't know in which way the material has been covered in the course you are taking. In this case, we do not know what exact meaning "Ethernet" could have had in your course. Can you clarify for us?

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

What Media Access Control protocol does Ethernet and IEE 802.e use ?

CSMA persistent ? CSMA/CD ? CSMA non persistent ? CSMA / CA ?

And IEEE 802.11 uses CSMA / CA , right ?

Tito

Reply to
Tito

Collision Avoidance, ala Apple's LocalTalk.

NM

Reply to
News Me

yes, I have IEEE 802.3 standard, but dont find exact protocol. I have read in some books that it uses CSMA/CD 1 persistent.

Reply to
Tito

For your information, it is not homework questions. I like to study computer networks, and Im reading some books. Some of these books tells 802.3 uses CSMA/CD 1 persistent , but Im not sure.

Reply to
Tito

CSMA/CA is "Collision avoidance" used by 802.11 networks

Reply to
Tito

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.