802.1D-1998 vs. 802.1D-2004

I'm reviewing IEEE Std 802.1D-2004 and will have to look at an implementation of -1998 and consider what's necessary to upgrade it to the new standard. While I've found a few notes about incompatibilities and gotchas in -2004, I've not found any comprehensive list of "this is what changed since 1998" or "These 3 state machines didn't exist in

-1998" or anything. Has anyone published a comparison of the two standards?

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Nelson
Loading thread data ...

incompatibilities

I don't know if such a list exists anywhere. AFAIK, the main change in the 2004 version was the introduction of Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP). There were probably minor modifications to other parts such as bug fixes or minor optimizations to GARP/GMRP.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Hmmm. My question was imprecise. I know that a major difference between 1D-1998 and 1D-2004 is adding RSTP but even then the RSTP of

802.1w-2001 is different from the RSTP of 802.1D-2004 and that's really the focus of my work. Fortunately, I've found that comparing the state diagrams in section 17 (of .1w and .1D) shows the differences pretty clearly. An introduction describing the diferences would be nice but isn't as important as I thought it would be.
Reply to
Christopher Nelson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.