Obtain internet connection

Canadians are not allowed to receive U.S. services, because those companies don't have the "rights" to sell in the Canadian market.

Reply to
James Knott
Loading thread data ...

Good point. I know at least .nl had such a provision for the longest time, even while there were taxes on having television and radio receivers. Now that tax is merged with some other tax (forget which), since having a seperate collection body was deemed too expensive.

Somehow my memory told me it was a convention of this or that, but I can't for the life of me find it; it may just be a dutch provision. I still like the principle, though. The flipside is that if some scanner-user finds out about criminal activity he is bound to let the authorities know.

Yes. You'll have to ask someone with radio receiver knowledge for the details (is there a radio amateur in the cha^Wgroup?), but it is possible at least with certain amplified receiver setups. For a short distance, anyway.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IANAL, but now that you've got me googling anyway, I'd found a definition of this at [gacd]. Being awfully pedant, I don't think this is applicable since there's no agreement to violate.

Then again, I don't think .kr has quite the same wording of applicable laws (being in the korean language and all) so whether there are similar suitable rules I don't know. Looks like an excercise for the OP. :-)

I don't know. The OP claimed it wasn't regulated. My point following the above (which got snipped) was that I believe parts of the action he stated on intending to execute would be an offense on (non-specifically computer technical) grounds anyway. There don't happen to be .kr lawyers around in this froup, do there?

Some people actively don't care: I know of at least one case where someone has _two_ access points; one with wep encryption enabled, and one wide open with a SSID of "TAKEME"[0] and still a working 'net connection behind it. This is not to imply you should do any different from what you do, of course.

[0] Or similar wording. [gacd]
formatting link
Reply to
jpd

Why should we tell you how to sponge off someone elses internet?

Reply to
CJ

The nerve of some people. Stanley, I suggest you get a job and pay for your own services.

Reply to
CJ

(snip)

Do you mean to detect which frequency is being received?

The resonant circuit in the first stage of the tuner means it absorbs slightly more at that frequency than others, but that would be pretty hard to detect.

For many receivers, though, there is enough leakage from the local oscillator that one might detect it. This leakage is why radios and televisions receivers are not allowed on airplanes in flight, and also because the frequencies used for air traffic control aren't far from FM radio and TV frequencies.

The same would probably work for detecting receivers without detecting the frequency, though looking for roof antennae would be another way.

There are stories about US government being able to detect the RF emission from computer monitors and reconstruct the image on the screen. That is, for security reasons.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

This sounds more like wiretapping. There was a story once of someone who overheard her neighbor's drug deals through a cordless (not cellular) phone on her AM radio. The police came and recorded the conversation off the AM radio, and it held up in court.

It may or may not have if one used a scanner instead, but pretty much the law is that one should not expect privacy from a cordless phone.

There is a special US law regarding cell phones and their frequencies. The favorite example being the recording of Newt Gingrich on his cell phone.

(snip)

Well, encryption is different. Also, I am unsure about the ability to sell commercially equipment to receive signals that would otherwise require a license, and there is also the DMCA to worry about.

In general though, with specific exceptions, you are allowed to receive but not redistribute the information, especially if it could be considered unintentional. (Such as the AM radio case above.) That is, for personal use only. Of course if you don't tell anyone you are much less likely to get caught.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

AFAIK, they are detecting noise in the UHF-band from the antenna cable.

-Øystein

Reply to
\ystein Gyland

Yes. Or at least (for this purpose) to detect reception in a certain set of bands. Then you walk up and verify the presence of an apparatus capable of doing the stuff you're collecting the taxes for.

Something I found in a book full of anecdotes and stories, describes a slightly different way: one sends out so much that some (part of the) amplified reception circuit has to do something with the excess energy, and sends it out again. Like prodding in the dark until something goes ``eep''. NB, I'm not an EE, the details are hazy as I read that book ten years ago, and this all might be a quirk only found in equipment long gone, the stories were at least 20 years old back then. Hence the note that one'd want to ask someone knowledgeable, say a radio amateur. I just remember someone relating an instance where this trick did work.

For the purpose of weeding out where to look and where to skip, that'd be enough already. The point of the electronics is merely to make the check more efficient, not to make the checkers obsolete.

I've seen it demonstrated a couple of years ago, and it does work. But that demonstration also showed that the picture contains lots of noise. Then again, I've heard it was possible to reconstruct an image from the rather scattered image on the wall behind (well, in front of) the monitor, so the electromagnetic version of the reconstruction may have improved substantially too.

Reply to
jpd

A simple access point does not do routing or NAT, it's closer in function to a switch or bridge.

Leaving an access point open would be pretty much the same as installing an Ethernet port on the outside wall of your building, and using an open access point without permission would be the same as plugging in to such a port, and using whatever you found you were able to connect to.

Reply to
Stephen Furley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.