100mb network and 100mb backbone, good bad or indifferent?

I have always heard that a 10mb network should be on a hundred mb backbone. is there any drawbacks to having everything on 100mb.

we are talking about 5 servers, 4 switches and about 60 workstations.

any comments ?

Reply to
Sonco
Loading thread data ...

Could be a really *SLOW* network. ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

It's M (Mega) not m (milli), by the way.

Could be. It depends on the actual traffic flows.

Most of our departmental network was like that until quite recently, and I can't say that we've really noticed a major improvement to the existing nodes by upgrading the uplinks to Gbit. (For the new servers which have Gbit interfaces it's a different story, of course, but that doesn't seem to be relevant to your question.)

But, more to the point, what sort (levels and pattern) of traffic are they carrying?

Boxes with Gbit-capable uplinks are very affordable nowadays.

Reply to
Alan J. Flavell

In article , Sonco wrote: :I have always heard that a 10mb network should be on a hundred mb backbone.

Not really. The key factor is that your backbone needs to be fast enough to handle the traffic being put over it without undue buffering and delays. That's really only something that you can determine through traffic measurements.

:we are talking about 5 servers, 4 switches and about 60 workstations.

That doesn't really give us much feel for the extent to which the server-to-server or server-to-workstation traffic is taxing the existing equipment. For example, if those are streaming media servers and you are doing video production, you should probably be going right to gigabit, but if you are just doing a little light email then you might not stress even a 10 Mb/s backbone.

In our network, which is roughly 4 times as large as yours, our measurements show that most of the users would barely notice if we were to drop them and their switches down to 10 Mb/s. There is, though, one user on one port of one of the switches who is producing more data than the rest of the users combined: that one user should have a gigabit port and gigabit backbone to the server.

Other than that, our traffic is fairly localized, with the greatest portion of the user traffic occuring within one [server] room. User traffic tends to be rather "bursty" and it can be difficult to find the right balance of cost and necessity. If one user saturates their local link 1% of the time, do they need an upgrade?

10%? 30%? 80%? You can't place any hard numbers, because it depends on how the user is using the network: if that user can start a transfer and then work productively while the transfer is occuring, as long as the transfer finishes within a few hours, then a slow connection might be good enough -- but if you have a researcher who is interacting strongly with a computer model, then the difference between 5 minutes and 30 seconds can be very important.

Our experience is that the activity which most greatly taxes our network is the [automated] backups. If you have enough data stored then even if only a fraction of it changes each day, doing a full backup can easily keep your network links saturated for 6 or more hours. After a point of growth, those backups aren't going to finish overnight or even over the weekend, and the backup traffic is going to start interfering with user traffic: by the time you reach a terabyte or so, you might find that you are designing your network around the backups rather than around the user traffic.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

You make an excellent point. On the one hand it's better if backups are off-site, just in case the building burns down (don't laugh - we've seen it happen). On the other hand, as you say, it would need a sizeable network pipe to achieve it, for disk systems of quite an affordable size.

Even taking full backups "in house" would be an intolerable strain on our network infrastructure. A dedicated link is probably to be recommended for many situations.

Reply to
Alan J. Flavell

If that's all there is to it then you might ask yourself a few questions:

Is the 10Mb network there so that it will intentionally limit the data rate from any client to the backbone? Why?

Compared to 10Mb, if everything is 100Mb, will that necessarily increase the volume of data? Probably not. It would only increase the peak data rate - and reduce the time accordingly. Thus reduce the possibility of collisions.

Depending on the topology of the servers and switches there should be less opportunity for collisions anyway - until multiple workstations vie for service on the same server.

Ask this: why would it matter if the network elements limit data rate to

10Mb on the clients or if network loading limits data rate to
Reply to
Fred Marshall

How are you measuring your network ?

You've got to give us more information before I'll say that your requirement exceeds a plain 100Mb full duplex switched network. It's a no-braiener to make the server-switch connection a Gbe interface, but beyond that you need to do some work to understand what your bottleneck is. The physical plant has lots to do with the design. If you're in one building with a few floors then pulling a run from the main equipment room to a switch on each floor gives you a colapsed backbone for not a lot of money. Pulling fibre is a no-brainer and

100Mb to each floor may be enough and save the price of a an expensive Gbe switch in the center, but a couple years from now when you need it it will be an easy upgrade path, and cheaper.

Don't overengineer without understanding your requirements.

"more traffic than the rest of the network, combined" is meaingless for the purposes of this discussion unless you give us numbers. It also suggests that that you have a small # of machines since the larger the base the harder it is for one machine to exceed the aggregate unless he's very different, such as the only diskless workstation, or does daily full backups to the servfer.

It would be worth the time to see if he's got a virus or spyware. Then you should try to understand his business and what makes him special. I would, before I asked for the money got Gbe. If the netowrk connection isn't his bottleneck then there is no reason to spend money on him.

A desktop machine generating enough data for a 100MB/sec net connection to be a bottleneck is a rare thing in business.

Reply to
Al Dykes

I'd start with putting him on netnanny or something suitably annoying to see if that doesn't reduce the traffic to something reasonable. :-)

Reply to
jpd

Sniffer time! What is all that traffic?

Is the user running some non-standard software that syncs a lot (MS FastIndex?), or is s/he infected with a virus?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

In article , Al Dykes wrote: :In article , :jpd wrote: :>Begin :>On 2005-01-30, Walter Roberson wrote: :>> There is, though, one user on one port of one of the switches who :>> is producing more data than the rest of the users combined: that one :>> user should have a gigabit port and gigabit backbone to the server.

:>I'd start with putting him on netnanny or something suitably annoying :>to see if that doesn't reduce the traffic to something reasonable. :-)

As the OP of that statement, I can say that it would not be an appropriate solution to the situation.

:How are you measuring your network ?

Well, since you ask, I have Fluke's Network Inspector monitoring all of the switches and producing 5-minute trend graphs. I also sometimes turn on MRTG and watch the graphs for awhile. More often though, I record the packet counters and examine the packet volumes along the various links, cross-correlating from each end of the link to avoid making mistakes.

:You've got to give us more information before I'll say that your :requirement exceeds a plain 100Mb full duplex switched network. It's :a no-braiener to make the server-switch connection a Gbe interface, :but beyond that you need to do some work to understand what your :bottleneck is. The physical plant has lots to do with the design. If :you're in one building with a few floors then pulling a run from the :main equipment room to a switch on each floor gives you a colapsed :backbone for not a lot of money.

We have a building with 4 floors and two "wings", with a traditional star topology to a basement LAN router. One of the two wings is within the 100 meter copper limit, but due to the way the cross-connect between the wings run, the switches in the other wing are near or exceed the 100 m limit, so those have fibre to the core router. Fibre was also installed on the other side for future expansion, with all the fibre terminating in that basement room.

:Pulling fibre is a no-brainer and :100Mb to each floor may be enough and save the price of a an expensive :Gbe switch in the center, but a couple years from now when you need it :it will be an easy upgrade path, and cheaper.

Our measurements show we need the "expensive Gbe switch" anyhow, in order to keep up with our backups -- we've just gone from ~ 1 TB of storage to ~12 TB of storage capacity [not all used yet!!] The question was whether it would be best to install a managed gigabit switch in the wing where only one user is producing a great amount of data. Our conclusion was that it would be cheaper to pull copper [and fibre too since most of the cost is in the labour of putting the cables into the trays] over to our mini-NOC where we intend the new core router to live.

:"more traffic than the rest of the network, combined" is meaingless :for the purposes of this discussion

I didn't say "than the rest of the network combined", I said "than the rest of the users combined". There's a difference. :unless you give us numbers.

The one user produces ~50 gigabytes per day, usually 6 days a week,

250-350 Gb per week total. Assuming 50% transfer efficiency [allowing for overheads and architectural limitations as you get towards gigabit], that is half a working day of continuous data transfer at 100 Mb/s. By way of comparison, all of our other servers combined [other than the one the above user data is stored on] backed up this morning into 437 Gb of tape. If you need more exact numbers, such as number of packets and bytes transfered per port, then I can supply several months worth of that information in ~5 minute increments, but it would be a bit of a nuisance to extract it in detail out of the database it is in.

Personally though, I don't think it'd be productive to dig up the details. I monitored the system carefully before making decisions about which portions needed upgrading and which did not. You should not, though, neglect the influence of power politics: if my measurements show that an entire subdepartment could easily fit into 10 Mb/s whilst a different subdepartment is overflowing 100 Mb/s, the first subdepartment will tend to feel that it is owed a network upgrade when the second gets one...

:also suggests that that you have a small # of machines since the :larger the base the harder it is for one machine to exceed the :aggregate unless he's very different, such as the only diskless :workstation, or does daily full backups to the servfer.

Look@Lan tells me I have 324 different devices intermittantly on the network. Over 600 devices are assign IP addresses, but they don't all necessarily get used in the same month. We probably average close to 4 networked devices per person.

:It would be worth the time to see if he's got a virus or spyware. :Then you should try to understand his business and what makes him :special.

You ass-u-me'd that I don't understand his business and what makes him special. I have a fairly good idea of what makes him special.

:I would, before I asked for the money got Gbe. If the :netowrk connection isn't his bottleneck then there is no reason to :spend money on him.

:A desktop machine generating enough data for a 100MB/sec net :connection to be a bottleneck is a rare thing in business.

Again you have ass-u-me'd. You failed to look at my email address and take a step such as visiting our web site. We aren't -in- business: we are public sector biomedical research.

For what it's worth, the user is involved in Proteomics and is, if I recall correctly, doing automated DNA sequence analysis. The rate of data production swamps our previous high-point of projects having to do with Functional Imaging of the Brain in MRI machines, a typical run of which was only 1/2 Gb.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

In article , Robert Redelmeier wrote: :Walter Roberson wrote: :> There is, though, one user on one port of one of the switches who :> is producing more data than the rest of the users combined:

:Sniffer time! What is all that traffic?

:Is the user running some non-standard software that syncs a :lot (MS FastIndex?), or is s/he infected with a virus?

Non-standard perhaps, but not that syncs a lot, and no virus is involved. The user is running a high-speed scientific instrument. The other scientific instruments in the building do not produce data nearly as quickly.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Ah, so you understand the traffic. How about using local storage, and compressing for network backup? It sounds like this guy should be on his own 100 port. Nothing wrong with elevating a "superuser" to the backbone.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

These are all academic discussions at this point. The only drawback might be that you will not see 10X the increase in speed. But at today's switchport pricing, why bother with anything less than 10Mbps? For all I know, the time spent EVALUATING the network will cost more than just upgrading it.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

(snip)

There is a possibility that a 100Mb network could be slower, but not so likely.

If a switched 100Mb network with all links full duplex and no flow control saturates the uplink, it can be slower than

10Mb links, full or half duplex, to a 100Mb uplink.

That should be relatively unlikely, but it is possible.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

?????? If it's a 100 MB/sec backbone feeding into 10 at the desktop then it's necessarily a switched architecture of some sort and collisions should not be an issue.

In a switched architecture the only time collisions occur is when something is misconfigured.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The standard for 10 Mb/s Full Duplex operation was approved/published in

1997 (going on 8 years, now). Even before that, there were products (non-standard or "pre-standard"). That said, there are lots of legacy 10 Mb/s devices that may not be able to (or ever need to) operate in full-duplex mode.

-- Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting 21885 Bear Creek Way (408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033 (408) 228-0803 FAX

Send replies to: usenet at richseifert dot com

Reply to
Rich Seifert

In article , J. Clarke wrote: :In a switched architecture the only time collisions occur is when something :is misconfigured.

Switched != "full duplex".

If you have a host connected to a switch port with nothing inbetween (no hubs or whatever) and both ports are running full duplex, then Yes, no collisions. However, if the ports are running half-duplex then transmissions from the host to the switch can collide with transmissions from the switch to the host.

:?????? If it's a 100 MB/sec backbone feeding into 10 at the desktop then :it's necessarily a switched architecture of some sort and collisions should :not be an issue.

As best I recall, it was only fairly recently that there has been anything approaching a "standard" for 10 Mb full duplex. Thus the existance of 10 Mb devices makes it quite likely that some (many) of the links are running half duplex, for which see above.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Begin On 2005-01-31, Walter Roberson wrote: [snip!]

If you're sure. You didn't say so, so the possibility was left open. (See other people making alike suggestions for alike possibilities.)

Que? _You_ didn't specify, or didn't even give a hint you knew what this one anomaly makes so special. And given that as often as not people don't even know an ISDN cable from an ethernet cable, let alone understand why they're not interchangeable, it was, and still is, basic prudence to not disallow the possibility.

[snip: sensible advice]

Excuse me? Why should anyone want to go out of their way to give you free advice? Just because you're in academentia? Furrfu.

If it's true what you claim (and no, I haven't checked, why should I), you've been among them doktores too long. Time to sniff some fresh air, and see the colour of your sky fade to blue again.

Reply to
jpd

In article , jpd wrote: :Que? _You_ didn't specify, or didn't even give a hint you knew what :this one anomaly makes so special.

I certainly didn't give any hint that I -didn't- understand why that one user was producing masses of data. I did, though, give useful hints to the OP based upon our experiences -- hints that would tend to lead people to understand that I have done non-trivial network traffic analysis.

:And given that as often as not :people don't even know an ISDN cable from an ethernet cable, let alone :understand why they're not interchangeable, it was, and still is, basic :prudence to not disallow the possibility.

I am a relative newcomer to comp.dcom.lans.ethernet, having posted only 142 messages here during the last year, about 100 of which were in the last 6 months. That's only about 2 a week during that time, so I can understand why you might not have recognized my name. These days I'm mostly three newsgroups further over, in comp.dcom.sys.cisco, answering about 35 questions a week.

:Excuse me? Why should anyone want to go out of their way to give you :free advice? Just because you're in academentia? Furrfu.

If you re-examine my posting that started this subtree, you will see that I wasn't asking for advice, I was giving it.

:If it's true what you claim (and no, I haven't checked, why should I), :you've been among them doktores too long. Time to sniff some fresh air, :and see the colour of your sky fade to blue again.

The weather's been quite strange here this winter. Normally at this time of year it is clear and cold (-42 overnight is pretty common here for the first week of February); instead we've had a mix of deep cold and abnormal highs... and very little sunshine. It's a choice between grey skies and greyer skies.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Glen,

I'm not sure I understand... What is the basis of comparison? You said: "If a switched 100Mb network with all links full duplex and no flow control saturates the uplink, it can be slower than

10Mb links, full or half duplex, to a 100Mb uplink." Let me paraphrase: "Comparing: a LAN of N clients using 100Mb links each, full duplex, no flow control with: a Lan of N clients using 10Mb, full or half duplex with a 100Mb uplink for both then: The 100Mb links can demonstrate lower throughput compared to the 10Mb links, given the same traffic demand."

So, the traffic demand can be no greater than what will be presented with the 10Mb links - although the peaks will be higher with the 100Mb links. If that's the case how can the 100Mb links cause lower throughput? There must be some system overhead issue eh?

On the other hand if somehow one allows the 100Mb linked clients to demand more throughput than their 10Mb cousins then are you saying that THEN the

100Mb linked clients will actually provide lower throughput than the 10Mb clients *or* lower throughput than some other idealized situation that's not under discussion (yet)?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Marshall

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.