measuring throughput with netperf

Hello,

I'm doing benchmark test of Linux server using netperf. According to information at

formatting link
the theoretical max throughput rate for 1514-bytes packets is 117.35 Mbp/s, however I'm getting 957 Mbp/s for UDP traffic of 1514 packets. I generate the traffic with netperf.

I am not sure how this can be possible. Does netperf return udp/tcp or Ethernet throughput?

Reply to
Mark
Loading thread data ...

Netperf returns "to the user" throughput. By default it reports megabits per second (10^6 bits per second).

Following the link, I see them talking about 119,635,891 Bytes/s, which would be 957,087,128 bits per second or 957.1 megabits/s.

happy benchmarking,

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

There can be bits versus Bytes confusion when information sources are not consistently using 'b' for bits and 'B' for bytes.

rick jones

Reply to
Rick Jones

Bytes / sec not bits.........

Stephen Hope stephen snipped-for-privacy@xyzworld.com Replace xyz with ntl to reply

Reply to
Stephen

OK, but 117.35*8 is 938.8, so 957 is still more.

But you have to send a really large amount of data to get good statistics on this, to avoid problems at the beginning and end.

If you start the clock when the first packet is received, and end with the last one, you are one packet off.

(note the rates that ftp has reported for years.)

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.