Looking for wireless router tutorial

I'm having a heck of a time setting up a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. After staring at several of the fields in the setup page, I realized that what I'm lacking is an understand of what each of the IP addresses, etc. means.

Is there a tutorial for beginners, not so much of "type this in this field" help, but more a thinking person's guide: "A DSL modem will have a fixed address, relative to the LAN you're setting up..." and such.

I Googled, but while I found lots of people asking specific questions and getting them answered, I found little tutorial information.

Thanks, John

Reply to
DaveC
Loading thread data ...

Maybe in 2001 things were different. What you get now is someone in India who can answer very specific questions, but really can't give a tutorial overview. I found the same thing after three different calls -- both language and technical barriers. I found the book "Mastering Cisco Routers" to have good info, but A good web tutorial must be out there somewhere.

Reply to
tns1

Call Linksys Tech Support and be done with it like I did back in 2001 that is what they are there for to help you.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Did you try hitting the "help" button in the upper right of the Linksys WRT54G setup screens?

Did you check the Linksys web pile? They have an educational page:

formatting link
walks you through most of the basics. It only seems to work with IE6 and blows up with Mozilla, Firefox, and Netscape.

Tutorials, FAQ's, and troubleshooting:

formatting link
Other:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Well, I talked with people over in India about the Linksys 11S4 and how to connect it to my WatchGuard and then to people in India on how to connect the WatchGuard up that was going to be the gateway device, recently. I had no problems in understand or getting the technical information I needed.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I'm using Sveasoft firmware. I presume that the Linksys guides won't help me(?)

Good general info about IPs, et.al.

Thanks, Jeff. These are great references.

Reply to
DaveC

Which Sveasoft firmware? Satori, Alchemy, or whatever?

However, I lied. I just looked at my Satori firmware and found that there's no "help" button. Instead there's a "more..." button on the right side of each page. Same thing on all versions I've looked at including the Linksys firmware. It displays a list of buzzwords and explanations. Admittedly, it's a bit terse, but sufficient to pound into Google for additional help.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.