Looking for a good Wireless System

Hello,

I am looking for a mid range security system. I have been looking on line and I have found two systems Ademco, and DSC. I had a wired Ademco in my old house.

Here is what I would like to cover. I live in a condo on the second floor.

I have a garage door and a door coming in from the garage. I have my front door and a door out to the patio. so in all I have 3 doors and a garage door. Then I have 8 windows. I would like to get a smoke detector and a PIR. I am just not sure what starter kit I need to get started or is there another brand I should be looking at? I really would like all the contact to be hidden or not noticeable at all. Both companies had very similar contacts with even some nice contacts for the door that are inside the frame.

Any help or website you could suggest would be most appreciated.

Thank you, Rodger

Reply to
Rodger
Loading thread data ...

I've heard good things about the G.E. Simon 3 although I've never used one. It's primarily a wireless panel. If you're going for a panel that's strictly wireless, be aware that most are "all-in-one" (the common control, communicator, and main keypad are resident in one enclosure) and as such is vulnerable to attack if you don't "plan" the system installation properly. Ademco's Lynx system

formatting link
utilizes Ademco wireless devices (next to the GE stuff, they're "tops"). DSC has a new all-in-one system as well that looks to be one of the more attractive (and smallest) units around
formatting link
The one drawback is that DSC wireless technology isn't quite as "robust" as Ademco's.

If you're really thinking about buying online, you may prefer to purchase your product from a friendly local dealer instead. If you have problems programming the system it's always helpful to have someone you can call on (even though they might charge you $100.00 for the service). Before you boot up your panel, it's a good idea to get it checked over first. It might save you a lot of hassle later (and keep in mind that anything you wind up sending back is subject to shipping charges and that could easily wind up being equal to the cost of a service call). You can have a look at some suggestions I've put together here:

formatting link
Good luck!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank,

Thank you for your advice. Good point to try and get a local dealer. Plus I have a few guys at work I can call on for help.

I think I like the Ademco system a little better and their 5800Micro chip is so small I can almost hide them on the windows and in the door frames.

Of to start reading more.

Thanks, Rodger

Reply to
Rodger

They're the 5800Micra (not Micro) they look real interesting...first time I've ever seen them. Personally, I might be concerned about the range.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

We've used them a few times.

Make sure the antenna is straight. They don't seem to care which direction - but if they get balled up their range drops to zero.

For about the same price you can get the 5818. It can be a PITA to install but they are pretty much trouble free once they're in - and they work great.

Lots of options - Check a bunch of different sites to see what all is available and you figure out something.

One of two windows I couldn't fish in my own house got 3/8 press fit switches wired to a 5816 transmitter hidden under the trim molding.

Been six years now and I'm wondering when the battery is going to complain. I'm too lazy to tear the window apart until I have to, but once I do I think I'm gonna rerun the wire down to outlet height and pur the transmitter in an old work box with a blank plate.

Lots of ways to do it and hide it if you just think it through (which I didn't when I buried the transmitter behind the trim...)

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I usually use the 5816, it's easier for the homeowner if they want to change their own batteries. I've looked at the 5818 and decided it wouldn't work for most windows out here. I've tried the 5820's on a condo about a year ago and their still working find...I kinda like them actually

However, now I've kinda standardized on the DMP wireless and don't do many new installs with Honeywell anymore.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Isn't DMP wireless just Inovonics? That's what all the stuff I took over when I bought out Desert Alarm is.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Inovonics deos have some things that are cool. Actual longer range transmitters, and actual remote locatable supervisable repeaters come to mind.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

DMP has interface modules for Inovonics, Ademco, and for the past year+ they make their own wireless (two way) and it's freekin awesome.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That's cool. Actually the DMP stuff I have played with seems to be pretty decent. Not enough (at the time) cool features to justify changing brands for my main line, but acceptable stuff.

Too bad I can't trust Dave Sharp enough to want to work with DMP except as a servicing only dealer.

** "Oh, uh. He named names. I bet Dave sues him now. LOL." **

Ok, "IN MY OPINION. I can't trust Dave Sharp because he sent me things I didn't order, charged my credit card for them, promised to take care of it, and never did."

There, is that better Dave? Just stating my opinion.

Sorry Crash. Couldn't resist. Is Dave even still the western region manager?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Dunno what went on between you guys, but No, David is California only now. We got a new guy out here now, just started, which means I'll have to break him in :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Lets just say Davey pissed in my Wheaties.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.