a hub

Let's say computers A, B, and C are all connected to a hub.

Let's say computer A sends a packet to computer B.

Does computer C's Ethernet card discard the packet or does computer C's CPU discard the packet?

Can a packet sniffer on computer C see the packet?

Reply to
bob
Loading thread data ...

On 30.04.2006 08:37 snipped-for-privacy@coolgroups.com wrote

depends on

yes

Reply to
Arnold Nipper

If really a hub and not a switch, which is far more common today, even when called a hub.

Either can happen, depending on the details of the card, the OS, and any drivers thereof.

If a hub (see above) and with the right drivers, then yes.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Any Ethernet card that I recall will reject a packet with an someone else's MAC address on the card (but not broadcasts). Queston 1: the card.

#2, yes, a packet sniffer can see the packet. Packet sniffers are available for all major operating systems, that operate on all major manufacturers card.

And using switches does not completely prevent sniffing, but it does make it quite a lot harder.

Reply to
Wrolf

I would say that the typical case is the NIC discards any frame not addressed to that machine's (NIC's) individual MAC address or to the MAC group addresses the machine is registered to receive. And the typical case is that only broadcast frames, i.e. those with all 1s MAC DA, will interrupt the CPU of every machine on the net.

That's why IP version 6 has eliminated broadcasts altogether. They are a nuisance, e.g. as manifested by broadcasts used by ARP, RIP, and DHCP in typical IPv4 nets.

However, NICs can be set to "promiscuous mode," in which case all frames arriving at the NIC are forwarded to the CPU.

If the PCs are interconnected with a "hub," meaning a repeater, a sniffer will see all frames from any port.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

The NIC should discard Ethernet frames--IP packets would normally be discarded by software running on the CPU, however some Ethernet NICs have IP acceleration features that allow some of the IP processing to be handled by the NIC.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.