HP JetDirect card - assigning a fixed IP

JetDirect card J3111A/600N (10baseT, RJ-45).

Logging into the card using a web browser, under Configurations tab, the TCP options can be found. One of the choices is to choose whether the IP address is assigned via DHCP, BOOTP, or Manually.

From the drop-down menu I choose Manually and then click the Apply button at the bottom of the window. (I left the IP address alone as it was fine; I just want it to remain that address and not get reassigned by DHCP.)

When the window refreshed, the drop-down menu said "DHCP". I repeated the selection of Manual from the menu and again clicked the Apply button, but again, when the window refreshed the menu showed DHCP.

I shut off the printer and restarted it; it showed the same IP address, but I'm not sure if it is showing me its fixed address, or it's just that the DHCP router had assigned the same dynamic address to the printer.

Has anyone come across this problem with JetDirect cards? Did I set a fixed address? Will it remain the same? If not, how does one get around the problem of the menu reverting to DHCP?

Thanks,

Reply to
Usual Suspect
Loading thread data ...

Ah, I think I see your point. DHCP router will assign addresses within a range defined by (me?). I can assign static addresses outside this range.

But the JD card won't "know" what those dynamic addresses are. And the router will poll and see that that address is already taken, so it will not dole it out. Isn't this correct?

Thanks,

Reply to
Usual Suspect

(snip)

You should not configure a static address within the range supplied by DHCP. It should, then, not configure using DHCP the same address set as a static address.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

A better way would be to configure your DHCP server to always assign that IP address to the JetDirect's MAC address.

Maybe a web browser artifact. Telnet to the printer and use the text menus if you want fast, simple, and clear instead of pointy-clicky ambiguity.

Print a self-test page and it should show the current configuration of the JetDirect.

Reply to
Warren Block

(snip)

DHCP won't poll and will likely give that address to the next host that makes a request.

Some hosts, when starting up, ARP for their address and complain if a reply comes back (from someone else using that address). I don't know that any do that for DHCP assigned addresses.

There is no poll method, and I don't know any DHCP servers that use ARP to test addresses.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

This is a nice way to do things.

But you do, and you're the one who assigns the JetDirect a static address.

DHCP is supposed to ping an address before reusing it. However, that only works if you leave the JetDirect powered on all the time. Or, technically, at least powered on when a new DHCP lease is needed.

The DHCP ping check might not be implemented by cheap routers, or might have been disabled by someone who thought that was a good idea--great fun on a big network.

Reply to
Warren Block

I just set up some of these cards Friday and updated my network to make sure that everything allows pings so my dhcp server will (hoopefully) see addresses that are in use. I have some legacy addresses that are in the dhcp assigned range but on fixed laserjet ip. Since it is a Microsoft dhcp server, I also set those specific adr to be excluded from dhcp, but before I did that, IF ping was working, dhcp did not use that adr. I set ip my jetdir card with the web interface, choose manual, entered the ip adr, then a few lines down had to enter or confirm the snmp "password", which would be "public" if another one was not used. This then allowed the changes and saved it. gr

Reply to
gr

Some setting may only be available from the control panel of the printer.

Reply to
Barry Watzman

I use the old Mac OS9 HP Control Panel to set IP addresses....

Reply to
David Lesher

Can you provide a link to that app?

Reply to
Usual Suspect

No, alas. It used to be available on the HP site but who knows if it's still there...

Reply to
David Lesher

If you've got a Windows boc around, give HP JetAdmin a try

formatting link

Reply to
Al Dykes

You could always use the HP LaserJet Utility to set the address. I do. It runs under Classic and is available at

Paul

Reply to
Paul Anderson

As a last resort. you can always set the IP address and mask via the buttons on the panel.

Reply to
Al Dykes

That's the app; sorry I mangled the name...

Reply to
David Lesher

Not all printers have same...

Reply to
David Lesher

And the version above appears to be an older version than what I have running on my Mac.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Anderson

This printer (HP LJ 2300) does not provide for setting IP via buttons, only viewing and printing such information.

Reply to
Usual Suspect

Thanks!!!

Reply to
Usual Suspect

I'm sure I have a copy lying around but who has OS 9 connected to the network in question?

FTP into the printer is what I used when the web support was "odd". Which was more often than not.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.