assigning a static local IP to a machine on my home network

Hi,

I'm running a LinkSys wireless router, WRT54GS, firmware v 4.70.6. I want to assign a static local IP address to a Linux machine I have running behind the router. Is there anything I need to do on the router configuration side? The local IP address of my router is

192.168.1.1. My starting IP address in the router is 192.168.1.100 so I tried to assign an IP outside of that range to the Linux machine (192.168.1.99) using configuration commands on that machine. When I reconfigure my Linux machine, it no longer has internet connectivity and after verifying I had followed the right commands, my thoughts drifted to whether or not I need to configure anything on the router side.

Thanks, - Dave

Reply to
laredotornado
Loading thread data ...

On 10 Mar 2007 07:46:45 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@zipmail.com" wrote in :

Be sure the Linux machine has the right _gateway_ address (which should be the router LAN address).

That said, I personally think it's better to configure the static client IP address in the router DHCP configuration, and configure the network client by DHCP.

Reply to
John Navas

Have you checked to see if you have still got any DNS Servers listed?

Reply to
kev

Your friend is this.

Long

Short

formatting link

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I'll assume that you're redirecting traffic from a specific port number or IP service to your Linux box. There are two ways to do this.

1. Just assign a static IP address to the Linux box. In other words, don't use DHCP to assign the Linux box IP address. Pick this static IP address to be OUTSIDE the DHCP range of the router (usually
192.168.1.100 thru 192.168.1.150). This is a good way for non-portable servers.
  1. Let the Linux box get its IP address via DCHP, but setup the router to always deliver the same IP address (based on the Linux boxes MAC address). This is called "static DHCP". The problem is that the stock WRT54GS firmware does NOT provide for this feature.

You'll need to run DD-WRT or one of the alternative firmware mutations to get this feature. The advantage is that if your Linux box is portable, you can leave it set for DHCP assigned IP address, and not have to change it every time you take it somewhere.

So far so good. That should work.

It takes more than just an IP address to obtain internet connectivity if you're going to do it manually. You need:

1. A netmask (usually 255.255.255.0)
  2. Default gateway to internet (IP address of router).
  3. IP addresses for DNS servers. (May be IP address of router).
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

for point nr 3 you can check the isp dns server addresses through the status page of the router.

Reply to
Sergio

Sergio hath wroth:

Nope. The router usually has a DNS relay and cache feature. To avoid excessive DNS lookups, I suggest you point your clients DNS server to the router IP address, and not the ISP's DNS server IP's. It will work as you suggest, but may be a problem if the ISP "load balances" or rotates DNS servers. Fortunately, this is not all that common these days with "anycast" DNS servers being used by the larger ISP's.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.