fixed IP for DHCP service at cox.net?

Is anyone else getting fixed IP for their DHCP services at cox.net? I'm using their DHCP service out of Las Vegas area and every time I restart the modem, the IP address stays the same. It works well except for security and privacy concerns. If they are giving out fixed IP this way, who wants static IP services?

Reply to
t
Loading thread data ...

It's typical for a DHCP server to keep handing you the same IP until the ISP needs to perform maintenance or you change your MAC address, as two examples. There shouldn't be any security or privacy concerns with this. If you feel differently, please explain.

Even though DHCP _may_ give you the same IP for long periods of time, you're not guaranteed to keep that IP, as mentioned above. When you've signed up for a static IP, you can count on it not to change.

Reply to
Bill M.

I am more concerned about information passed around on the internet. Check this site:

formatting link
the top of the page there's all the information being passed to that site.)

Basically one can be identified by the ip address and the host address if ip address seldom changes. It's a privacy concern as it's much easier to track a user's online activity. Also a security concern because it's much easier for a dedicated hacker to find a particular machine. An anonymous proxy server only partially solves the problem.

Reply to
t

Unless someone's after YOU they will just look for any old machine. They probe and if you open you become a bot. Then it no longer matters if your IP changes hourly, they still own you.

Install a router, change the password, put your computer on via NAT, turn off the DMZ, and worry about something real.

Reply to
DLR

DHCP assigns IP addresses based on your the MAC of your IP card, so it will likely stay the same for months. I have seen my computer have the same IP address for up to a year sometimes.

>
Reply to
Charles Newman

In today's news there's a very good solution:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
t

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.