hacking ethernet driver - advice needed

Hi, We have an kernel app (or code which runs only in the kernel).

I dont want to use the networking code of the linux kernel.

I just want to call the linux network device driver functions from my code (say some character driver).

Actually, the driver is not a character driver in the true sense.

It actually sends and recieves network packets (Only Ethernet Packets) No TCP/IP.

But I think the ethernet driver is closely coupled with the networking code of linux.

I dont have any ethernet driver running on my system.

On my system only my driver will send and recieve packets (enet) over the network.

I tried modifying the enet code. but i dont know what the upper layer passes to each of the driver functions.

It passes some device and net_device structures and i dont know what values these contain when it passes to the lower driver layer and what modifications the upper layer do to these data structures.

I know the base address and irq

I am using smc91x.c linux driver.

I need your advice in this regard. how can i solve and resolve my problem and how do i go about it.

The reason why i want to do it is time. sending/recieving the packets must be very fast (very high performance sensitive).

Regards, John

Reply to
john.maximus
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.