Video conferencing advice needed

Jase,

Personally, I'd look at the Polycom VSX7000 or the Sony PCS-1. They're reasonably priced, and you'll find that your 2MB line should be adequate to pass video traffic using the H.264 algorithm. They're both set-top systems, but I recommend that over desktop for the sheer fact that they look more professional (not to mention better video).

As far as the firewall is concerned, there are a number of options available to you. Do some research on Google for "NAT firewall traversal" and you should get a lot of answers. Ideally, though, these systems should reside outside of your firewall.

You can get pricing at:

formatting link
If you're just playing around, and dont need a enterprise class video system, look into:

formatting link
Thanks Chris
formatting link

Reply to
NetSteady
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I've been tasked with organising real-time video conferencing between our UK office & our Hong Kong office. We have a 2 Meg leased-line which I would imagine is adequate to cope with such a job. Unfortunately I'm not sure of my next step, do I look at dedicated hardware or something PC based - if it's PC based I'll need it to be both Mac & PC compatible if possible, also what will the the firewall implications be, etc, etc. Can anyone give me impartial advice on the best route to go down.

Cheers, Jase.

Reply to
Jason Snape

Problem solved, If you need more advice then I'm available with 25 years video conferencing exp..

formatting link
$15.00 a month.

Sincerely Neil L. Rideout Multicast Engineer Video Conferencing Consultant Inventor - Comcaster, P/See Suite, Sincewas, and Camtrek

formatting link
and most importantly
formatting link

Reply to
Camtrek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.