Ethernet coming to home as Broadband with staic IP addr, can I connect Router?

We signedup for Broadband Internet connection from local ISP, ISP guy came home and laid Ethernet connection directly to home, he assigned Static IP addr on my PC, these are the things he entered:

Static IP addr: 192.168.25.231, Netmask: 255.255.255.0, default gateway: 192.168.25.1. also entered DNS addr.

Looklike they have a switch somewhere outside in the apartments, from there he is running a ethernet cables directly to homes.

If I want to connect to one or two more PC's to the internet, can I use Broadband Router?. Will it work?. Because I have to connect ethernet which I received home to the WAN port of my Router, then I have to connect all of my local computers to switch ports on the Router, but the WAN port IP addr is static IP, also private IP addr, also the switch ports assigns local IP, how it will work?. I called the ISP guy, he tells he doesn't know what is Router, he was suggesting me to take one more ethernet connection from him and I have to pay for 2 connection, similarly if I want to connect 4 computers, then I have to

4 rhernet connection from him, but this is rediculous right, how can I connect?.

Thanks.

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

(snip)

It is possible that some NAT routers will refuse a private address on the WAN port, but I would consider them broken.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Since those are RFC1918 local addresses, some applications won't work. You can also forget about running a VPN or ssh to your home computer.

It will work fine. Just configure it to use the supplied static IP on the WAN side. You can use your choice of DHCP or static addresses on the local side. However, you must use a different address range. This means you cannot use 192.168.25.x on your local network. However I doubt you'll find a firewall/router that defaults to that range.

I called the ISP guy, he tells he doesn't know what is Router, he was suggesting me to take one more ethernet connection from him and I have to pay for 2 connection, similarly if I want to connect 4 computers, then I have to

4 rhernet connection from him, but this is rediculous right, how can I connect?.

Is that a supprise??? He wants to sell you more connections, not help you avoid paying him more.

Reply to
James Knott

My SMC 7004VWBR works fine with a "WAN" address of 192.168.3.2.

Reply to
James Knott

Really broken. Read the manual for the model you have/are considering and see in the section on DHCP if there is also a provision for accepting a static address.

The other issue is that the ISP may recognize the MAC address on your PC and refuse to talk to another piece of gear without contacting customer service. Every broadband router I've worked with has had provision for MAC spoofing. Look in the manual for details.

You can find the MAC address on your XP PC by running this command:

ipconfig /all

You set the MAC address into your router before you connect.

Reply to
Al Dykes

What about on a MAC? ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Mac OS/X uses FreeBSD utils, so you need to open a shell and type `ifconfig -a`

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

I guess you missed the ";-)" and the intended bit of humour about a "Mac" address.

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.