Is the ethernet connection to home from ISP is secure for Bank and on-line transaction using Credit cards?

Is the ethernet connection to home from ISP is secure for Bank and on-line transaction using Credit cards?. We are getting LAN connection from a small ISP to home (I think they are using a hub, through that giving connections to multiple homes), Is that secure for on-line transaction, I am worrying about password theft and all?. Does Browser take care about encryption I believe. Thanks.

Reply to
GS
Loading thread data ...

The internet is not secure. That's why browsers use encryption, when connected to secure sites. Check to make sure that the "lock" at the bottom of the screen is closed.

Reply to
James Knott

In article , GS wrote: :Is the ethernet connection to home from ISP is secure for Bank and :on-line transaction using Credit cards?.

This is probably a more appropriate topic for comp.security.misc

:We are getting LAN connection :from a small ISP to home (I think they are using a hub, through that :giving connections to multiple homes), Is that secure for on-line :transaction, I am worrying about password theft and all?. Does Browser :take care about encryption I believe.

A -good- bank or online store will use encryption at the browser level. Unfortunately, even some of the large and famous banks and stores do not protect your data at every step.

Historically, a number of stores and credit-card companies have had data leaks. Some of those leaks have allowed people to get access to online accounts without being the account owner -- and that can occur even with encryption. Other of the leaks have allowed theives to gain access to tens of thousands of credit card numbers -- but those numbers might have been gathered by the store or bank by "shop in person" rather than through on-line transactions.

Any online system should be protected by a good firewall, and any online Windows PC should be protected by an anti-virus system. Most of the better-known "personal" firewalls for Windows have noticable security problems. The problems are sufficient that some security workers warn that "personal firewalls" may often end up being a false sense of security -- too much gets through most of them but meanwhile the user -thinks- that they are safe. Unless the user has a good grounding in computer security, in some ways it is almost better -not- to have a "personal firewall" -- to the extent that -not- having one encourages people not to put sensitive information on systems connected to the Internet.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

How about my logon to my yahoo account, does the password is encrypted, If I logonto my yahoo e-mail account, I have to enter id and password, Is there any chance to theft that passowrd by these guys who run local ISP using ethernet?. Please let me know, thanks for your time.

Reply to
GS

In article , James Knott wrote: :The internet is not secure. That's why browsers use encryption, when :connected to secure sites. Check to make sure that the "lock" at the :bottom of the screen is closed.

Unfortunately the lock can be deceptive. The lock does not protect against the possibility that a FORM or URL on the page use insecure transmission protocols. You need something closer to a tooltip- lock, that shows whether the particular part of the page you are at is secure [and even then I would worry about javascript reading out the "secure" section and reimplimenting it as insecure...]

Reply to
Walter Roberson

By default, Yahoo does NOT use a secure connection for their logins, but you select a secure login by following the "secure" link below the login boxes..

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Great, I selected secure connection on Yahoo, by default it is not secure at all.

Reply to
GS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.