Are there any home DSL routers that can allocate static IP numbers ?

The only way to get a static address from a DSL provider is to request one from your provider.

Reply to
Dana
Loading thread data ...

Is there a linksys or similar cheapo dsl home router that can use DHCP to assign static IPs based on requesting MAC address ?

Reply to
Al Dykes

I'm asking the DHCP server in the SOHO router to assign addresses. ou're think of NAT.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Good question! Forcing a MAC->IP assignment. I haven't seen any, but my DHCP always returns the same addresses. They pretty much have to, since the port-blocking/fwding and DMZ work on IP, not MAC. I get non sequential, so I presume it hashes the MAC in some way. If there were a collision, then two machines might flip-flop.

BTW, I believe NAT is totally independant of DHCP. I've configued machines the old way with static IPs, netmasks, routing & gateways and the router handles them fine. Some older machines (macs?) do not do DHCP. Of course you have to watch out for collisions!

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Why not just configure a static IP?

Reply to
James Knott

I've seen the feature to assign static IP's from the router's internal DHCP side, based on MAC address, in D-Link products.

While I wouldn't (now) recommend D-Link to my worst enemy, I would not be at all surprised if better makes, such as Netgear, also have the capability.

Suggestion: Many manufacturers make their equipment user manuals freely available for download, no matter if you already own the unit or not. You would probably do well to grab such, and check the setup instructions for the device's internal DHCP feature (if any -- some few don't have it).

Happy hunting.

Reply to
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

Al,

My ZyXEL ZyWall2 will allow you to map IP's to specific MAC addresses via DHCP and I think most of the other ZyXEL products will too since they run pretty much the same software..

For the other vendors, you should be able to download a user manual for any of the routers you are considering off the vendor's website so you can verify that it will do what you want and give you some idea of how easy or difficult the device is to configure.

Good hunting.......

Reply to
James T. White

I was going to say exactly that, Verizon's FIOS router is a D-Link DI-624 which has the Static DHCP feature, but I really hate D-Link, and I've added another for a firewall between me and them. Linksys routers don't seem that have that feature, but I'm having other Linksys problems and am about to try another vendor (probably Netgear).

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Because when the DNS servers your ISP provides changes, the changes don't propagate through the router and you have to go change them all over again. Static DHCP is really quite useful.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

????

Normally, those firewall/router boxes use RFC1918 addresses on the local lan side, which have absolutely nothing to do with what your ISP assigns to your connection. For example, if your local lan is 192.168.1.x, the dhcp server in that box will assign addresses in that range or you can assign static addresses within that range. You can even do both at the same time. However, those addresses bear absolutely no relationship to the address you get from the ISP. Your router has to accept whatever address is assigned to it, but that does not affect your local network.

Reply to
James Knott

Sorry, I may not have explained that properly. If you assign a Static IP address to a machine, you also (*) have to configure static DNS server addresses. If your ISP changes their DNS server addresses, you have to then go to each machine that you've assigned a static IP to and change the DNS server addresses.

If you use Static DHCP, the client is always assigned the same IP address, but the DNS server addresses will be assigned dynamically.

(*) Yeah, there are always exceptions, as some SOHO routers do DNS passthru, where the router assigns itself as the DNS server and relays DNS traffic to the servers assigned by the ISP, but that gets us back to D-Link, which we've agreed to hate for the purposes of this discussion. 8*|

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

At least one Netgear model also does this as do some Linksys models IIRC. Or one can set up a local DNS server.

Reply to
J. Clarke

assign static IPs based on requesting MAC address ?

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/befsr41v3_ds.pdf Says: The Router can act as a DHCP server for your network

This router has an Ethernet port for the outside one.

Reply to
anybody43

In article , wrote: :> Is there a linksys or similar cheapo dsl home router that can use > DHCP to assign static IPs based on requesting MAC address ?

:ftp://ftp.linksys.com/datasheet/befsr41v3_ds.pdf :Says: :The Router can act as a DHCP server for your network

But can it examine MAC addresses on the LAN side and use the MAC address to assign a static IP address through DHCP ?

I have the befsv41 (befsr plus vpns) and the befsv41 cannot do the job.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.