Wireless Clients Cannot Connect to Each Other

Using a 871W, the clients on the wireless segment cannot connect to each other (same subnet). Here is the relevant part of the config:

----------------------- ! interface Dot11Radio0 no ip address ! encryption key 1 size 40bit 7 XXXXXXXXX transmit-key encryption mode wep mandatory ! ssid myssid authentication open ! speed basic-1.0 basic-2.0 basic-5.5 6.0 9.0 basic-11.0 12.0 18.0 24.0

36.0 48.0 54.0 station-role root no dot11 extension aironet l2-filter bridge-group-acl no cdp enable bridge-group 1 bridge-group 1 subscriber-loop-control bridge-group 1 block-unknown-source no bridge-group 1 source-learning no bridge-group 1 unicast-flooding ! interface Vlan1 description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-HWIC 4ESW$$FW_INSIDE$ no ip address ip tcp adjust-mss 1452 bridge-group 1 ! interface BVI1 description $ES_LAN$$FW_INSIDE$ ip address 192.168.0.3 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside ip virtual-reassembly ip tcp adjust-mss 1452 ! ! control-plane ! bridge 1 protocol ieee bridge 1 route ip

-----------------

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
tom
Loading thread data ...

I dont see it in your config, but it sounds like you may have Public Secure Packet Forwarding enabled.

formatting link

bridge-group x port-protected

barry

Reply to
BG

(same subnet).

1. Can EACH of the wireless workstation in question ping the BVI IP address 192.168.0.3 ???
  2. What does arp -a ( command windows) show on a given wirless workstation when you ping one of the other wireless workstations ?
Reply to
Merv

Yes, each can get to their gateway of 192.168.0.03

Tried this - they do not have each other's MAC in their arp cache. Just that of 192.168.0.3

Nope - that is not in the config

Further ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
tom

Do you have a firewall enabled on these clients ?

If so disable it

Reply to
Merv

That was the first thing I checked, and no it is not enabled.

Reply to
tom

post the output of show version

Reply to
Merv

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI, RELEASE SOFTWARE ROM: Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version

12.3(8)YI 2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:c870-advsecurityk9-mz.123-8.YI2.bin"

Cisco 871W (MPC8272) processor (revision 0x100) with 118784K/12288K bytes of mem ory. Processor board ID FHK094811EN MPC8272 CPU Rev: Part Number 0xC, Mask Number 0x10

5 FastEthernet interfaces 1 802.11 Radio 128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 24576K bytes of processor board System flash (Intel Strataflash)

Configuration register is 0x2102

Reply to
tom

The release you are uisng does not show on CCO anymore

The next release after yours is a deferred release ( read junked)

You might want to consider upgrading to see if that addresses your issue.

Deferred Release (DF)

12.3.8-YI1 (DF)

Early Deployment (ED)

12.3.14-YT1 (ED) 12.3.14-YT (ED) 12.3.8-YI3 (ED) 12.3.8-YI2 (ED)
Reply to
Merv

Hm, well - easier said than done, but I appreciate the time you've put into this. It was purchased through the academy, and of course doesn't have maintenance.

-tom

Reply to
tom

;-(((

Can a wireless client ping a device on one of the wired ports on the

871W - should have asked that question before ?

I wonder if the 871W is not rebroadcasting the ARP requests received from wireless clients ?

Unless the wirless client get ARP replies then no communication is going to occur.

You could try hard coding ARP enties on the end workstation to see if that is the issue.

(arp -s command)

Reply to
Merv

Good question, and I will have to answer it when I am near the hardware. I'll post results.

Thanks.

Reply to
tom

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.