Cannot connect to 192.168.2.1

Hi all! I cannot get internet access through my Belkin N1 Router. My LAN connection is perfectly fine, and works even when connected through the router, but I think there might have been an issue with some settings being changed. I cannot access 192.168.2.1 to change any of these settings. I have tried the reset button on the router to no avail and all of the connections. I am not sure what I can do. I have tried pinging 192.168.2.1 and I get 'Request timed out' so obviously it isn't connecting. What can I do to fix this? I have included what shows up when I type ipconfig /all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Home Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.ut.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ut.comcast.net. Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PL Network Connect ion Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-12-3F-7D-68-EC Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 67.182.251.112 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 67.182.250.1 DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.66.21 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.85.98

68.87.69.146 Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 02, 2007 4:36:31 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, July 02, 2007 6:24:48 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
spicy7384
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried Ipconfig /release and ipconfig/renew?

The machine's NIC doesn't even have a IP like 192.168.xxx.xxx that's even going to allow you to access the router's Admin screen at 192.168.2.1.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

spicy7384 hath wroth:

(...)

Note that your PC has been assigned its IP address by the Comcast DHCP server and not by your Belkin N1 router. That means you have the cables and connectors miswired. There should be a CAT5 ethernet cable between the cable modem and "internet" or "WAN" port on the Belkin N1. Try it first without wireless. There should be another CAT5 ethernet between one of the 4 LAN ports on the Belkin N1, which goes to the ethernet port on your PC. In that configuration, the output of IPCONFIG should show a default gateway = 192.168.2.1 and an assigned IP address in the same range.

Once you have the correct IP addresses (with a wired connection), point your web browser at: http://192.168.2.1 and configure the WAN/Internet page for DHCP. Then, go to the "status" page and see if you get roughtly the same IP addresses as above (67.182.xxx.xxx etc). If so, it's working.

Once you have it browsing the internet via a wired connection, do not immediately blunder onward to the wireless. Go to the Belkin support web pile and download the latest firmware for your Belkin N1. Install, update, etc.

Then, try the wireless.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Surely the router should be accessible on 192.168. 1 . 1 ! Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

The Belkin N1 router defaults to 192.168.2.1 as do most of their other routers. Netgear uses 192.168.0.1. Linksys is 192.168.1.1 for routers, but are all over the place for wireless client bridges and print servers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.