wan interface ip change

have cisco/805 in remote branch office, connecting it to public network [internet], and have a corpoarte vpn over that link, connecting branch office with head office through vpn. now, wan provider is [for some reason] changing the ip address of branch office link.

of course, in the moment the branch office router ip address change, vpn tunnel branch-head breaks [since the remote address is written into local router's config].

but, if the head office's router is readjusted, so new branch office ip address is written into head's router's config, could i expect that vpn branch-head may be reconnected automaticly [or with power switching of equipment]?

or the same question, but reformulated: is it the must for the router to know its own wan address to operate in vpn tunnel network over public network?

i am interested in problem, because if remote ip address change may not be performed automaticly, i need to pay engineer to adjust remote router manualy.

any suggestion/oppinion?

thnx.

Reply to
sali
Loading thread data ...

Create a startup_config file with the new settings and tftp it into nvram. This way the router will continue to use the running-config (which is in RAM) and when your ISP makes the changes then you can just call the office and have anyone reboot the router to have the new settings take effect.

Reply to
Brad

A router must have a VALID IP address on each interface for the segment its on. That being said, the IP can either be configured manually, or you can configure it to get its IP via DHCP if your ISP supports that.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

thnx.

but, just for curiosity, is it a must for router [as a part of vp tunnel] to know its [to be set inside config] wan isp ip address. i mean, the router on the other end of vpn tunnel must know cooperated router's ip addres [otherwise link between two routers is not possible], but does one router must know its *own* ip address?

Reply to
sali

thnx.

this helps me make clear that router's wan interface reacts exactly as any other ip interface on lan.

"Thrill5" je napisao u poruci interesnoj grupi:1v2dnT-lEfEl87jbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
sali

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.