VTP question

If you have two diffrent VTP domains in your network running transparent mode what happendes and will you can do and can not do???

Reply to
Trouble
Loading thread data ...

If its in transparent mode, then nothing happens, and you can do whatever you want!

Transparent mode effectively turns off VTP, and the switch is then only concerned with its local vlan database.

Reply to
Kevin Widner

A DTP trunk will not come up between two switches that have different VTP domains ...

formatting link
BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

Since switches in transparent mode do not advertise their VTP domains (or any VTP information), I fail to see how this works. I don't think this applies to switches in transparent mode. Have you tested this?

-kw

Reply to
Kevin Widner

"Dynamic Trunk Protocol (DTP) sends the VTP domain name in a DTP packet. Therefore, if you have two ends of a link that belong to different VTP domains, then the trunk does not come up if you use DTP. In this special case, you need to configure the trunk mode as on or nonegotiate, on both sides, to allow the trunk to come up without DTP negotiation agreement.."

Have I tested this? Yes. I found out the hard way, in production ... luckilly the change was being done after hours and the switch at the other end of the dark fibre link was only 2 Klms away ;-)

BernieM.

Reply to
BernieM

Cool thanks. I never use DTP, so I don't know alot about it. I always hard configure my trunks and turn the rest of the ports to "off". To have DTP act in this way is absurd in my opinion. I can see the benefit in protecting your vlans if you use VTP, but if both sides are transparent anyway, what's the point?

Reply to
Kevin Widner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.