Migration from vtp/client server to transparent mode

Hello I have three catalyst switches . One Server VTP, Two clients VTP

I want to migrate to transparent mode on all .

Do I lose my Vlans ? Coud I do somthing like this on client: (config)# vtp mode transparent - and then i will not remove my vlans? Should I make after this (config)# vlan 222 .................name test vlan (because I have not Vlan in running config on client)

What Should I do on server?

Reply to
kkuuffeell
Loading thread data ...

Hey there,

You'll not loose any of the vlans already on there.

The server - client relationship is only to do with the creation and deletion of vlans in the vtp domain.

if you do a "sh vlan" on one of your switches that is in client mode, then change it to be in transparent mode, none of them will disappear. It will simply stop listening to vtp messages regarding the creation and deletion of vlans.

Out of curiosity, why are you dropping vtp server/client ?

LH CCIE#15331

kkuuffeell wrote:

Reply to
Leigh

1.In client Server mode maximum number of vlan is about 1000 (don't remember) (I must set Vlan2000 to work with other network)
  1. I have not need all vlans on my three switches,
  2. There is only 3 switches - it is easy to manage them separately.

What about vlan command ? in Client server mode there is not Vlan command in run-conf but in server and transparent it is

Reply to
kkuuffeell

A switch can only create vlans when it is in vtp server or vtp transparent mode. When it is set to client, all it can do is listen.

LH CCIE#15331

kkuuffeell wrote:

Reply to
Leigh

Thanks I do (config)# vtp mode transparent either on client and server and there are in my running config commands vlan XXX name somthing vlan YYY name somthing else

There was no downtime or other problem

Best regards Peter

Reply to
kkuuffeell

A good job, well done !

LH CCIE#15331

kkuuffeell wrote:

Reply to
Leigh

A good job, well done !

LH CCIE#15331

kkuuffeell wrote:

Reply to
Leigh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.