VTP mode / VLAN questions

If I have an access switch that has been part of a VTP domain in "client" mode and has learned 50 VLANS via the core switche(s) that are in "server" mode, if I decide to convert the access switch to "transparent mode", will the access switch inherit the 50 VLANS that it has learned via being a member of the prior VTP domain. Or... are you required to manually reconfigure the pertinent VLANS (especially those VLANS that are configured for ports on the "transparent" access switch).

Also, if there was another access switch connected (via a trunk) beyond the access switch that I just converted to "transparent" mode that is still in "client" mode, will VTP packets still be able to traverse (pass through) the access switch in "transparent" mode to provide VTP information to the switch still in "client" mode ? Or does the switch become fragmented and lose its VLAN data ?

kb

Reply to
keithdew
Loading thread data ...

I'm not totally clear about the first part of your question, but as for the second part, VTP transparent mode is just that. The VTP messages pass through the VTP transparent switch to other switches. For the first part, once the access switch is converted to transparent mode, it will not inherit any new VLANs from VTP. However, the VLANs previously inherited via VTP (before changing to transparent mode) should still be there until you remove them manually.

Gond

Reply to
Gond

To answer the first part of your question... You do NOT have to manually configure the VLANs on the access switch when you convert it from client (or server) to transparent. - All the VLANs currently on the switch will stay on the switch.

Any additions, deletions or changes to any VLAN in any way will have to be made to all transparent switches.

Transparent is my recomendation for ALL the switches on your network (provided you know what your doing).

As for the second part of your question, I've never tried what you're suggesting, but "Gond" seems to have the answer.

J.Cottingim

Reply to
jcottingim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.