VTP Transparent mode confusion

Hi all,

I am currently studying BCMSN and I have trouble understanding VTP version 2 transparent mode. I am having trouble replicating what is mentioned in the link below regarding relaying VTP advertisement by a transparent switch with my Cisco lab.

formatting link
Transparent Mode-In VTP version 1, a VTP transparent switch inspects VTP messages for the domain name and version and forwards a message only if the version and domain name match. Because VTP version 2 supports only one domain, it forwards VTP messages in transparent mode without inspecting the version and domain name

I have 2 Cat2950(switch A and B, both IOS 12.1.(22)EA5) and 1 Cat2912(switch C, IOS 12.0(5)WC12), all running on EI. I configured the topology below. Inter switches links are configured static as trunk with 802.1Q. A B C

C can receive VTP advertisement from A if below (as expected). A : server, v1, domain=test B : transparent, v1 domain=test C : server, v1, domain=test

C cannot receive VTP advertisement from A if below (as expected). A : server, v1, domain=test B : transparent, v1 domain=abc C : server, v1, domain=test

This is where it starts to be confusing A : server, v1, domain=test B : transparent, v2 domain=abc C : server, v1, domain=test C cannot receive VTP updates from A. When B is in v2 mode, shouldn't it ignore the domain and VTP version and start relay the VTP advertisement?

A : server, v2, domain=test B : transparent, v2 domain=abc C : server, v2, domain=test C still cannot receive VTP ad from A

A : server, v2, domain=test B : transparent, v2 domain=test C : server, v2, domain=test Now C can receive VTP ad from A

Basically, I just create new vlan or delete existing vlan on A and see if it propages to C. So is the link to cisco.com is in error, or IOS error or I understand the concept wrongly? Any explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Guan Foo Wah
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.